Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One block wonders

I am sure I have seen the tutorial, or I wouldn't have had the thought in my head but!
    Has anyone actually ever completed a OBW out of the squares?
    I would like to see the whole project .... just to see If maybe I should try to make one these ... :shock:

k3n does lots of 'em. She probably has a photo or two. Kathryn, are you out there???

She has alot of really nice ones.

I don't know if this will work I will try to link it- If not search for " one block woofers" that is one of the OBW quilts she made.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/23403.page

Do you mean the 4-patch posies? http://images.google.com/images?oe=U...N&hl=en&tab=wi (I google-imaged "4 patch posies). I've seen a few at Show and Tell at my LQS and they're gorgeous.

Was looking in pictures. Found one - http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/27418.page

The four posies! That is the one I was thinking of.
    And, the link you had where the person was using an "hourglass" cut ... is a good one to.
    THank y'all for pointing me in the correct direction ... I think I can manage four pieces .. LOL
    Thank you!

I'm planning on doing a posies one myself. I mean, really, stacking 4 pieces of fabric and cutting squares can't be that hard...... right????? :shock:

Kind of what I am thinking ... not as intricate as the real thing, but hey! it could be fun

I'm having a hard time finding a fabric that I find "suitable" to try this OBW technique.
    Kirsten

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    I'm having a hard time finding a fabric that I find "suitable" to try this OBW technique.
    Kirsten
    I think this is the biggest challenge - making them is pretty easy! I'd say, pick a fabric with colours you like, motifs larger than 3" so they get chopped up in the cutting process and something with swirls rather than straight lines. Also, the longer the repeat the more variety you'll get. Having said that - I've seen fantastic OBWs that don't follow any of these rules! And it's always a surprise how a fabric works up - but that's part of the fun!

To date, I've only done hexagon ones although I did put some squares made from 4 triangles in a cathedral window doll quilt I made for Chele in the swap. I want to try those 4 patch posies one day soon... just checking things off the Christmas gift list at the moment. :D

Square OBW in Cathedral Window
    Name:  Attachment-50173.jpe
Views: 60
Size:  105.9 KB

Thank you for putting your picture in.
    The tips you provided will surely encourage us foot-draggers to actually try a few.
    Neat idea to use them in the doll quilt swap!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Thank you for putting your picture in.
    The tips you provided will surely encourage us foot-draggers to actually try a few.
    Neat idea to use them in the doll quilt swap!
    You're welcome - only too happy to encourage others to try these - they are the BEST fun! :D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    Kirsten
    I think this is the biggest challenge - making them is pretty easy! I'd say, pick a fabric with colours you like, motifs larger than 3" so they get chopped up in the cutting process and something with swirls rather than straight lines. Also, the longer the repeat the more variety you'll get. Having said that - I've seen fantastic OBWs that don't follow any of these rules! And it's always a surprise how a fabric works up - but that's part of the fun!

To date, I've only done hexagon ones although I did put some squares made from 4 triangles in a cathedral window doll quilt I made for Chele in the swap. I want to try those 4 patch posies one day soon... just checking things off the Christmas gift list at the moment. :D
    Thanks for the tips on picking fabric. I saw one with black cats on orange fabric, no swirls/large repeats/etc and it still looked really cool. I'm going for the big repeats for my first attempt

This link was posted for a different post ,but the very first picture is the hour-glass four patch posies. The fabric is pretty basic, doesn't work with the suggested techniques for picking out fabric, but looks amazing.

http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/photogallery.htm

So I think the moral of the story is - anything can become a 4-patch posie fabric :D

Too funny! I posted that same link to a thread asking about modern looking quilts!
    I never thought to actually look at the blocks, and sure enough! there are the four-patch OBWs!
    So, as I was pondering that vision, I looked at the total quilt , and there, just lower than center to the right, one of those dragon OBWs had come out looking exactly like an Auxiliary poppy!
    As a matter of fact ... I just purchased a remnant of that blue dragon fabric from LQS and DGS really liked that fabric. I guess I know what I am going to do for his Christmas gift?

Here's my four patch posie. I did a triple sashing with cornerstones to set them. The thing I love about the fpp is they're just squares and you can set them anyway you want.

four patch posie
    Name:  Attachment-52332.jpe
Views: 60
Size:  78.5 KB

Wonderful! And, setting them anyway you want ... those cornerstones and sashings REALLY set off your four patch posies.
    I am hoping this will encourage a lot of others to try this technique to begin with ... the hexagon can be pretty intimidating.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That is beautiful Scissor Queen - is the 4PP fabric the same as the border? Or just the same range? :D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    That is beautiful Scissor Queen - is the 4PP fabric the same as the border? Or just the same range? :D
    It's from the same line. I used the larger print for the blocks and the smaller more compact print for the border.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Great idea - might have to borrow one day! :wink: :D

I think this would be a good project for those lines where I have to buy all the colorways ...
    I love lots of colors, but I can see from your explanation of how you created the 4PP quilt that I could make a more impact if I would use this pattern when getting all excited about certain fabrics.
    Did we ask you, Scissor Queen - - how many yards of fabric per quilt top? say for a lap robe (60x72)?
    And, do you find that you have fewer scraps by cutting the squares versus the hexagons?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hi Omak - the hexs waste a lot less fabric than you'd think - here's a pic showing the wastage from one I made - the little pile at the top and a few triangular scraps from the selvedge is all the waste their was. :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I think this would be a good project for those lines where I have to buy all the colorways ...
    I love lots of colors, but I can see from your explanation of how you created the 4PP quilt that I could make a more impact if I would use this pattern when getting all excited about certain fabrics.
    Did we ask you, Scissor Queen - - how many yards of fabric per quilt top? say for a lap robe (60x72)?
    And, do you find that you have fewer scraps by cutting the squares versus the hexagons?
    It's one of those "it depends" quilts. I think mine turned out to be a little smaller than twin size. It takes four repeats and I think this one was around a 20 inch repeat. We cut our fabric in half length wise and I used both halves. The sashing adds a lot of size to the quilt too and it actually took longer to do than the blocks!

If you wanted a bigger quilt just buy 8 repeats of the design and then jog the second set off a bit from where you cut the first set. I did that with the second half of my fabric so the blocks are all different

I haven't ever made one of the hexagon or octogon ones. I like the four patch one so much I doubt if I ever will.

Thanks K3n .. that looks like a reasonable amount of waste ... I am running out of excuses
    And, SQ ... That is a good tip about moving your cut over a bit on each strip set ... how clever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast