One block wonders >

One block wonders

One block wonders

Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Great idea - might have to borrow one day! :wink: :D
Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM

I think this would be a good project for those lines where I have to buy all the colorways <g> ...
I love lots of colors, but I can see from your explanation of how you created the 4PP quilt that I could make a more impact if I would use this pattern when getting all excited about certain fabrics.
Did we ask you, Scissor Queen - - how many yards of fabric per quilt top? say for a lap robe (60x72)?
And, do you find that you have fewer scraps by cutting the squares versus the hexagons?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi Omak - the hexs waste a lot less fabric than you'd think - here's a pic showing the wastage from one I made - the little pile at the top and a few triangular scraps from the selvedge is all the waste their was. :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-35962.jpe  
Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by omak
I think this would be a good project for those lines where I have to buy all the colorways <g> ...
I love lots of colors, but I can see from your explanation of how you created the 4PP quilt that I could make a more impact if I would use this pattern when getting all excited about certain fabrics.
Did we ask you, Scissor Queen - - how many yards of fabric per quilt top? say for a lap robe (60x72)?
And, do you find that you have fewer scraps by cutting the squares versus the hexagons?
It's one of those "it depends" quilts. I think mine turned out to be a little smaller than twin size. It takes four repeats and I think this one was around a 20 inch repeat. We cut our fabric in half length wise and I used both halves. The sashing adds a lot of size to the quilt too and it actually took longer to do than the blocks!

If you wanted a bigger quilt just buy 8 repeats of the design and then jog the second set off a bit from where you cut the first set. I did that with the second half of my fabric so the blocks are all different

I haven't ever made one of the hexagon or octogon ones. I like the four patch one so much I doubt if I ever will.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks K3n .. that looks like a reasonable amount of waste ... I am running out of excuses <g>
And, SQ ... That is a good tip about moving your cut over a bit on each strip set ... how clever <g>
Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks K3n .. that looks like a reasonable amount of waste ... I am running out of excuses <g>
:mrgreen:
Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM

And, SQ ... That is a good tip about moving your cut over a bit on each strip set ... how clever <g>
Yup, you're out of excuses!! One of the things I really like about the 4PP is you have four choices of how to put each block together. You have to look at all four ways for every block to decide which way you like the best. I think the hexagons and octogons can only be put together one way.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Yup, you're out of excuses!! One of the things I really like about the 4PP is you have four choices of how to put each block together. You have to look at all four ways for every block to decide which way you like the best. I think the hexagons and octogons can only be put together one way.
The hexs can be put together 3 ways because they're equilateral triangles - obviously only one way has the straight of grain on the outer edge but the bias is more help than hinderance in the piecing process. :D This is another way of ensuring you don't get duplicates if you're working with two shorter repeats. It's amazing how different the three ways can be sometimes. :D The octogans can only go one way though.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 AM

I will get right on it, as SOON as I complete that other challenge I got involved with yesterday ... that stack and slash nightmare! :lol:
Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Thank you all for the tips, links, suggestions for making 4PP and OBW :D :D :D I just may be getting my mind wrapped around the concept now 8) 8) 8)