Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Paint ??? >

Fabric Paint ???

Fabric Paint ???

Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 PM

Question Fabric Paint ???

I am planning a quilt that will have a house worked into it & I will need to paint in the windows, doors & some srhubs. Has anyone ever used a fabric paint that is washable, flat, not 3-D? If so so could you tell me which ones you like best. Thanks for any help on this.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

i've painted on fabric with acrylic paints, the kind you get in the tubes on sale at Michaels for .66
never had a problem with it washing out.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM

I just painted, should say dabbed some fabric paint, in a small bottle onto some coasters I am sewing up. The paint is clear with glitter/sparkles, dabbed it on the star fabric, looks nice.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 PM

You can use those acrylic paints that lynnie mentioned, but I also bought a little bottle of the fabric liquid that you mix with it, can't remember the name you can ask at the store, it keeps it very permanent and is not expensive, you just mix in a bit with your paint.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

visit the website of
Dharma Trading Company
they have lots of paints/markers to choose from along with instruction, hints, tips & help.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
visit the website of
Dharma Trading Company
they have lots of paints/markers to choose from along with instruction, hints, tips & help.
Reading this post got me excited about trying something new -- I am not a huge fan of applique, but painting could be just what I am looking for. I put a couple of Dharma's starter kits on my Amazon Wishlist, and am hoping for the best.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Love Derwent INKTENSE pencils. Google and check them out. Draw on fabric lightly for light color or heavy for intense color. Then wet your drawing with paint brush (love the watercolor brush that holds water so no dipping). Once the penciled drawing is wet and dry, iron and it is permanent. Mine have stood up to cool washings. It's fun to play with the different ways to 'spread' the paint. Wish you lots of fun and hope to see a future posting here.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM

I use the acrylic paints and mix them with fabric medium which is also sold with the paints. One year my grandchildren and I painted sweatshirts with pumpkins, ghosts, etc. for Halloween, and I painted a sweatshirt for each of them with what looked like a string of lights around the neck. They were washed a lot and held up very well.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM

I used the acrylic paints also and use the fabric medium (which sales at WalMart). I painted several things and the paint seems to soften up but not fad much. In the past I tried fabric paint but it left the area stiff so some suggested to me the mix in the fabric medium and is seems to help it stay softer and less stiff. Washes nice too.

Good luck.