Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric prices >

Fabric prices

Fabric prices

Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
....When we refuse to pay such high prices the price will have to come down.
I don’t think so. I think we’ll just see fewer choices.

The manufacturers seem to think that the price they charge is reasonable. The retailers seem to think that the price they charge is reasonable. When it quits selling, both will probably decide to discontinue trying to sell it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 AM

The average cost in my area is between $10 and $12 per yard. My understanding of the problem is bad weather in China created a lot of bad results for the cotton crop. Their first priority is the large clothing manufacturers who ordered fabric, and the rest of us get what's left. In looking for products made in the USA, go do an Internet search on companies that make things here. There's a long list. I don't know if it includes any fabrics, because I didn't really check. I try to buy fabric from Connecting Threads, and I've also become quite picky in how much fabric I buy. I try to not buy any until I get to a quilt store out of my neighborhood and sometimes I won't even find anything there. Right now I have all of my fabric bought for the quilts I want to make for this entire year, which is fine with me. I can use the money elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Look at it this way, the value of your stash keeps appriciating.

All the more reason to make quilts from scraps like your Great-great-grandmother did. I think it is sad that most quilts in shows are from fabrics purchaced especially for the quilt. I think it takes more creativity to use what is at hand and make a work of beauty that can be used and loved.

My local quilt guild has a free table where we can donate any quilt related item, anything not taken by guild members is donated to a local charity. I have gotten a lot of fabric for my church's mission quilts and some of my own charity quilts.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 AM

If your LQS is selling fabric for $10-$11 they are not buying the top quality fabric. They could not afford to sell the top quality fabric to you for $10-$11 per yard. If you are paying less than $12 to $14 for cotton fabric, you are not getting the top quality fabric. My question is - So what???? You can make quilts out of whatever quality of fabric that you can afford. So - do it! You can't make a quilt out of 50% off fabric at Joann's and expect to win a prize in a big business quilt show, but how many of you are making those kinds of quilts? I make quilts for my family and friends to use and enjoy. I am lucky now because I work for a LQS and receive a large enough employee discount that I can afford to buy top quality fabric. When I didn't, I bought what I could afford at Joann's, etc., and I still made quilts for my family and friends. I still had just as much fun quilting and my family and friend still loved getting my quilts.
The price of the fabric that you buy is based on the price the company or LQS has to pay for the fabric and the cost of freight and running the business.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Joann has a line that is made in USA and it was just on sale for 6.99. I go to a local fabric store and get flat folds for 2.99 and batiks for 3.99. Marshall is a wholesaler, they have a huge warehouse in Arkansas (not far from where I used to live) and I used to frequent there. They supply flat folds to fabric stores. I don't usually buy expensive fabric as I can't afford it.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

What gets me is that JoAnn's prices are the same! $12- $14 for their "designer" lines, without coupons or sales.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 AM

In the local quilt shops fabric can be up to $18.00 a meter.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 AM

I was in JoAnn's they had beautiful fabric made in America. Original price was 9.99, 11.99 and 14.99 but was on sale. I was of good quality and nice prints. I bought some but have not used it yet. Will buy this next time too.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
If your LQS is selling fabric for $10-$11 they are not buying the top quality fabric. They could not afford to sell the top quality fabric to you for $10-$11 per yard. I
Really????
You can't make a quilt out of 50% off fabric at Joann's and expect to win a prize in a big business quilt show, but how many of you are making those kinds of quilts?
And is it true that you have to buy only the highest quality in order to win in a show? Do they judge the fabric itself? I thought they were judging the piecing and quilting skills. Is that one of the things they are judging when they judge the quilt?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Here in the UK, fabric seems to be much more expensive than in the States. On average I would say the cost is about £12 a meter at our LQS. However, this can rise to £18 in one of our national stores. As a rough guide I think $1 is about £0.60 so ours in considerably more expensive!!!