Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
An ugly dress or skirt can make a beautiful quilt
You are right.......... I had made a dress in HS and never finished it, all it needed was a zipper however I knew I would never wear it the fabric was ugly. It was purple swirls. I used the fabric a few years ago in an appliqued butterfly quilt. Everyone who has seen that quilt goes crazy over it, it come out so beautiful with my ugly dress fabric. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
Girls, do a clothing exchange with friends. You can use the fabric to quilt with. We don't have to give up our favorite hobby, we just need to think of ways to do it and not spend every cent we have.
I like the way you think ;-)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
Now what am I going to do? You can't quilt with bananas. I wish I could send them to you.
Throw them inthe freezer and make banana bread or muffins when you have time!!![/quote]

Fruit smoothies!!! with bananas from the freezer, I always try to have some in the freezer
peel them first LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by bitty39
If you boycott the LQS's - who are mostly small businesses struggling to survive - they will close and then there will be none left! You will have no option but big chain stores-which here basically have garbage and no service!

In Australia we pay up to $24-26 a metre - even the chain stores are now $18 -$20 a metre!
Just curious, what is the current exchange rate to the US dollar?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 PM

pretty good for us - about 90cents US to $1 australian. I remember when I was trading vintage clothes in the 1980s and 90s and it was $1. US to 45 -50 cents australian
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I can't recall any manufacturer - fabric or otherwise - who gets things overseas becasue it costs more! Labor is cheap in other world countries, and I can't imagine how much things would cost if everything was made here! It's a global economy, and we had better get used to it! Not that I wouldn't like to spend less, but, unfortunately, I don't think that would be the result.

As much as I really HATE to admit it, it is only good business to use cheaper labor if you can find it. When the labor costs in one place are 10 times another, it only makes sense. And I could go on, but there's a whole other can of worms in there, so I'll restrain myself from opening it!
:mrgreen: :-(
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 AM

i understand the union problem, although i sympathize with union families. this has become a cycle and those families have to live as well.

but if a company can save 90% of it's costs, then it can pass along at least 50% of the total savings only and still make money for it's investors. however you slice it, they are paying less and charging more.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM

What I wonder is why, when you go to a store, apples (for example) are 1.29 a lb. then the next week they are on sale for .99 a lb. they don't sell a lot that week either. so the next week, when the sale is over, they are back to 1.29 a lb. If they could afford to sell them for .99 why not keep them at .99? When we had a rabbit, I use to go to the market and ask for the lettuce, etc. that was being thrown away and they gave it to me. Now they say they can no longer give any of it away (some rule-EPA maybe? I don't remember)they have to throw it out. my point it, stores have to throw out any food that doesn't sell and the prices keep going up. True, quilt shops don't throw fabric out, but I wonder if they think about their customers very much. If I had to chose between fabric or food for my family, I won't be quilting as much.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal
What I wonder is why, when you go to a store, apples (for example) are 1.29 a lb. then the next week they are on sale for .99 a lb. they don't sell a lot that week either. so the next week, when the sale is over, they are back to 1.29 a lb. If they could afford to sell them for .99 why not keep them at .99? When we had a rabbit, I use to go to the market and ask for the lettuce, etc. that was being thrown away and they gave it to me. Now they say they can no longer give any of it away (some rule-EPA maybe? I don't remember)they have to throw it out. my point it, stores have to throw out any food that doesn't sell and the prices keep going up. True, quilt shops don't throw fabric out, but I wonder if they think about their customers very much. If I had to chose between fabric or food for my family, I won't be quilting as much.
i agree with the throw-away theory. when i worked in a home furnishings store, whatever comforters, pillows, other textiles, etc. came in damaged or were returned, they were tossed. tossed! i asked upper management why they weren't being offered to shelters (they could after all be washed), and was told it would require too much bookkeeping for tax purposes. it was cheaper to report to the manufacturer what was damaged and be issued a credit, they didn't want the stuff back. but anything that required any effort was too much to expect. so, if they could afford to lose money on the return, why can't stores lower the prices and be stricter about returns? (especially sheets that have clearly been used. shelters would still wash them and use them)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM

I'm reading a few posts about some of us being on a fixed income. I have a full time job but still on a fixed income-we are not allowed overtime so my check is the same week in and week out. In fact, if I miss a day, I'm worse off.

Unless you have an endless supply of money coming in, we're all in the same boat. Such is life.