Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by garysgal
What I wonder is why, when you go to a store, apples (for example) are 1.29 a lb. then the next week they are on sale for .99 a lb. they don't sell a lot that week either. so the next week, when the sale is over, they are back to 1.29 a lb. If they could afford to sell them for .99 why not keep them at .99?
Grocery stores have weekly "loss leaders". These are a few items that are put on sale at less than wholesale price, thus they are sold at at loss. But they bring people into the store, and the store makes up the cost with the other items that people buy at the same time. At the same time, a particular store may get a shipment of say apples at an especially reduced rate, so the price for that one shipment may be lower. It's fairly complicated.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
What I wonder is why, when you go to a store, apples (for example) are 1.29 a lb. then the next week they are on sale for .99 a lb. they don't sell a lot that week either. so the next week, when the sale is over, they are back to 1.29 a lb. If they could afford to sell them for .99 why not keep them at .99? When we had a rabbit, I use to go to the market and ask for the lettuce, etc. that was being thrown away and they gave it to me. Now they say they can no longer give any of it away (some rule-EPA maybe? I don't remember)they have to throw it out. my point it, stores have to throw out any food that doesn't sell and the prices keep going up. True, quilt shops don't throw fabric out, but I wonder if they think about their customers very much. If I had to chose between fabric or food for my family, I won't be quilting as much.
i agree with the throw-away theory. when i worked in a home furnishings store, whatever comforters, pillows, other textiles, etc. came in damaged or were returned, they were tossed. tossed! i asked upper management why they weren't being offered to shelters (they could after all be washed), and was told it would require too much bookkeeping for tax purposes. it was cheaper to report to the manufacturer what was damaged and be issued a credit, they didn't want the stuff back. but anything that required any effort was too much to expect. so, if they could afford to lose money on the return, why can't stores lower the prices and be stricter about returns? (especially sheets that have clearly been used. shelters would still wash them and use them)
It does make you wonder why they even would have had to file papers for taxes, as long as they were going to throw it away anyway. Seems like they could have just given it away - no questions asked!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM

They wonder why the landfills ARE FULL??????:{ The trash bins smell and draw rats. We feed rats and NOT people????
What is happening to big business???? GREED!!!!!!! If they can't get something out of it, then no one will.
How SAD:{
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
pretty good for us - about 90cents US to $1 australian. I remember when I was trading vintage clothes in the 1980s and 90s and it was $1. US to 45 -50 cents australian
Thanks for the information Rainyday!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by butterflywing
What I wonder is why, when you go to a store, apples (for example) are 1.29 a lb. then the next week they are on sale for .99 a lb. they don't sell a lot that week either. so the next week, when the sale is over, they are back to 1.29 a lb. If they could afford to sell them for .99 why not keep them at .99? When we had a rabbit, I use to go to the market and ask for the lettuce, etc. that was being thrown away and they gave it to me. Now they say they can no longer give any of it away (some rule-EPA maybe? I don't remember)they have to throw it out. my point it, stores have to throw out any food that doesn't sell and the prices keep going up. True, quilt shops don't throw fabric out, but I wonder if they think about their customers very much. If I had to chose between fabric or food for my family, I won't be quilting as much.
i agree with the throw-away theory. when i worked in a home furnishings store, whatever comforters, pillows, other textiles, etc. came in damaged or were returned, they were tossed. tossed! i asked upper management why they weren't being offered to shelters (they could after all be washed), and was told it would require too much bookkeeping for tax purposes. it was cheaper to report to the manufacturer what was damaged and be issued a credit, they didn't want the stuff back. but anything that required any effort was too much to expect. so, if they could afford to lose money on the return, why can't stores lower the prices and be stricter about returns? (especially sheets that have clearly been used. shelters would still wash them and use them)
It does make you wonder why they even would have had to file papers for taxes, as long as they were going to throw it away anyway. Seems like they could have just given it away - no questions asked!
when the stuff is 'unusable' and destroyed, they claim a loss. the end. if they claim a charitable contribution, they need to fill out the correct papers and get a receipt from the charity. too much trouble. they won't just give the stuff away and say it was destroyed because someone who isn't a real charity might get something for nothing.
in the meantime, they've already gotten manufacturer's credits towards their next order. they didn't even allow the employees to buy returned items in most of the departments.