Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric pulling to the left? Please help >

Fabric pulling to the left? Please help

Fabric pulling to the left? Please help

Old 03-17-2020, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by NoiseandKisses View Post
​​​​​​
I'm sewing on a Brother HC1850. I was using a Singer 7463 and had the same problem using that one too. I gave myself a larger seam allowance, half inch, and have the needle as far right as it will go because it would drift so far that it would eventually uncover the right side of the feed dog.

I know both these machines are capable of wide stitches. Is there something I can do to prevent this? Would a walking foot aid in this situation?
since it is happening with both machines and you have the needle to the right, it sounds like user error. I think Sewbiz’s suggestion of trying to guide the fabric by keeping your left hand at the side near the foot is a good suggestion. When I’m sewing I do not steer from the front, I use just gentle fingertip pressure with my left hand on the fabric right beside the presser foot. Also, is there any chance that your threads are getting sucked down into the bobbin area when you start? That can cause veering as well. Try pulling up your bobbin thread and then holding both tails as you start sewing. Slanted stitches could also mean a tension problem.

Rob
Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 AM

Welcome to the QB first of all and as you can see there are many people here that will help guide you through the learning process. All of us have been where you are. Learning to guide our fabrics through the machine and get the seam allowance that we want is a challenge. When quilting a 1/4" seam allowance is a difficult achievement and takes a great deal of practice. After 30+ years I can still struggle with a good straight seam allowance, especially as I change from one machine to another. Pressure foot and needle placements can vary a great deal from one machine to another. Practice, practice, practice is what is going to help you the most. Go slowly and keep your attention on you guide marking. I use my outside side of the pressure foot as my guide and align the needle for the right distance. This works well for me but you may find something else that works perfect for you. Getting it straight will come in time.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by NoiseandKisses View Post
Hello!

I've been reading the forums and seeing some posts written on this subject, but none of them fully capture the issue I am having.

I'm trying to sew a straight line on two pieces of 8 inch squares. I am new to sewing so when I saw that my stitch lines drift to the side instead of staying straight I immediately jumped on YouTube to see what I could to fix this.

First thing that is said is not to watch the needle and instead look at your fabric well before it feeds under the foot. To aid in this I can use masking take, post it notes, or a rubber band to have an extended line for my guide. I have been successful in using this technique and before the fabric pulls to far left I can guide the fabric very well.

The second thing I learned was to invest in an extension bed or find a way to have the fabric lay flat instead of half off the edge so weight of fabric doesn't pull to the left. I was lucky and my current machine came with an extension bed and I've been using it for my sewing. The squares fit perfectly on it.

The other tip I learned was to help guide the fabric out the back of the machine with my left hand to keep any fabric from bunch and shifting. The fabric doesn't bunch because it's a small square and I'm not pulling on the fabric. I don't know how to accurately describe what I am doing to know if I am doing it correctly enough or if this would have a huge impact on the fabric drifting. All I basically do it's let the fabric freely move through my thumb and index finger. I'm not doing any direction controlling from back there.

Here's the problem I am having.. after doing all that my stitches are still noticeably slanted instead of straight. I can visibly see the fabric drift to the left even on the slowest possible speed. I even started to improvise and push the fabric on the left side towards the foot and that has not helped keep the fabric from drifting.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Is it my machine? I want to be sewing perfect squares. Please help me.
you need to hold the fabric together at both the front and the back. If the pieces are too small, you can use a stiletto to help it through. I love the Fons and Porter Ultimate Stiletto. It is silicone so grabs the fabric and is thin enough that you can guide it between the presser foot right up to within a few stitches of the needle.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 AM

Use the left index finger to guide the fabric on the left side. Tickle the fabric through the dogs. No need to hold fabric at the back of the machine. It's already gone through and stitched.

Example

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...09&action=view

Slow the machine down if you can.

What foot are you using to stitch? Check the different as one may be wider than another. The wider one may help hold down the fabric more. I didn't realize the difference in feet until I took a class about them at the LQS>

Hope that helps!
Old 03-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board. I have two straight stitch only machines and don't have this problem as long as I guide the fabric under the needle right.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Hold it on the left side as it goes through. There are tons of sewing videos on YouTube. Watch a few of them and observe how they move the fabric with their hands.
This is how I was taught and its works great for me. Also keeping my finger there clear to the end of the fabric helps keep those last few stitches from drifting.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Hold it on the left side as it goes through. There are tons of sewing videos on YouTube. Watch a few of them and observe how they move the fabric with their hands.

As for slanted stitches, it sounds most likely to be a tension balancing problem. Work with both the top and bottom tension tighter and see if that doesn't help straighten your stitches.
I will look at my machine's manual and see how I can do that. Thank you I'm going to give this a try.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I only need a fingertip pressure on the front of my fabric to keep it straight. Sounds like your machine may be out of alignment.
Thank you for this tip. I'll look up some videos on how to check the alignment on the machine.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
On tip I learned in a class how to have straight seams at the end of a seam is to put your left index finger on the left side of the foot as you reach the end of the seam. Works every time. Classes with excellent quilt makers are so worth the time so take as many as you can. I have learned so many tips and solutions to my sewing problems in classes. If your machine has zig zag function the stitches will always be at a slant. Over 5 mm machine is not easy to get a 1/4 seam without a lot of fussiness.
I'm going to see if I can find some videos on this technique and give it a try! Thank you for the advice!
Old 03-17-2020, 09:27 PM

The thing I learned many years ago from Eleanor Burns was to use a stiletto. Now I know that you really don’t have to buy anything, you can use any pointed item like a chopstick. Basically you’re guiding the fabric through to the last bit goes under the presser foot. Has worked for me, the only time I’ve had a problem is when I haven’t used my stiletto.