Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Quality >

Fabric Quality

Fabric Quality

Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM

I just learned about this this weekend from a major fabric company. The 68 is equal to what is sold at Walmarts, the 60 is the better one. If you feel the two side by side, you'll be able to feel the difference. Also, stretch it, even though it shouldn't stretch and a lot will stretch a little, some stretch. We learned about a very popular fabric company and one of the top selling fabrics, really stretches, which means it will not hold up as well. Notice, I'm not naming names as far as the fabric company or the fabric line. Take some quality fabric with you if you are getting it in person and compare. I'm very hesitant to buy online unless I know the company.

Craftsy does have a sale going on now, on patterns and fabric and when I signed in there was a code at the top that it was free shipping using that code. You can also use the code SPRINGDEALS and get a class for 20. Good luck on your fabric search. Just think about if you get it and it doesn't hold up, was the cost of the fabric really worth all of the hard work you put into it and now have it gone. Just saying.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you updated!

Originally Posted by Joodle View Post
Hello New Friends! I am looking to buy quilting fabric in bulk. The manufacturer says the fabric is:
Density: 68x68
Yarn Count: 32s x 32s
Weight: 100 gsm
Is this decent quality fabric? Maybe not the best, but decent and not low quality?
Your help is appreciated as I don't have a lot of money and I don't want to waste it!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 PM

"yarn" count??? Do they really mean yarn, or are they talking about thread?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM

Oh, no! Experts are contradicting each other. Imagine that! I found another article saying 68 x 68 is better than 60 x 60.

I ask this question seriously - not to be snotty - who do we believe? Some of the articles I've read on the subject say that the big box fabric shops sell lower quality fabric than LQS, and yet I have walked into LQS and seen the exact same fabrics for sale for a couple of bucks more.

It is a lucky thing that we develop a feel for the 'hand' of a fabric after a while!

https://www.heirloomcreations.net/qu...abric-matters/
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 AM

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I know someone that purchased fabric by the pound for quilting. She was trying to save money and she received oddly shaped pieces of fabric left over from cutting nursing scrubs. She made a large quilt out of it, but it was extremely heavy and not very attractive. I like to see and feel my fabric. I would watch for sales and I would try to buy only what I need. Your stash will grow quickly on its own.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't think those numbers mean much to most of us quilters. It sounds like manufacturer lingo, not quilter... But I second the suggestion to ask for a sample you can look at and feel, before investing in the fabric in quantity. I noticed you just joined the board... perhaps to ask this question? You didn't say what you wanted to do with the fabric. We are mostly all quilters here. Were you buying fabric for quilting?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 AM

Through a friend, I may have the chance to purchase quilting fabric from China. She gave me the fabric numbers I asked the board about. I am now even more confused! Hopefully I can get a sample. Thanks again! And, I was a member of the board a while ago under another name but I can't remember the name or password. But I've been a lurker for a while now, too!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 PM

Lots of bargains from Hancock in Paducah
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Oh, no! Experts are contradicting each other. Imagine that! I found another article saying 68 x 68 is better than 60 x 60.

I ask this question seriously - not to be snotty - who do we believe? Some of the articles I've read on the subject say that the big box fabric shops sell lower quality fabric than LQS, and yet I have walked into LQS and seen the exact same fabrics for sale for a couple of bucks more.

It is a lucky thing that we develop a feel for the 'hand' of a fabric after a while!
I totally agree with you. I've seen great stuff at Walmart and terrible stuff in LQS's, although generally speaking it's the other way around. I've received donations of fabric with old fabrics by manufacturers that are known to be inexpensive that were wonderful and some by big name quilting fabrics that were awful. I judge each piece on its own merits!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Welcome to the QB. I can't help you too much but I do feel that fabric from a quilt shop is a good quality but I really don't know the thread count. This is just a personal opinion and I am sure someone on this great board will help you.