Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Quality >

Fabric Quality

Fabric Quality

Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM

When money is tight, I think very carefully before spending. Usually I hit the sale room in a quilt shop or get some Kona solids at Hobby Lobby. I am not really sure about the fabric you mentioned. Do you love the print?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 PM

I'd want to feel the fabric before buying any in bulk, from anywhere. Actually, I like to feel fabric before buying just a little. To be able to feel it and hold it up to light to see if you almost see through it ,or if it's a tight weave, will be your best bet. A "deal" isn't a deal if you end up hating it or it goes to waste .

Could be that the "yarn count" is the best Chinese interpretation of "thread count." I'm not sure. And whether 60 or 68, it's not as important as the kind of cotton. Think about how bedsheets are marketed as "400 thread count" or 600 or whatever. What matters is whether the staple is long or short, how soft it is. The longer the better. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I wouldn't buy a large amount until I had tested it. Besides, it can take WEEKS to have it shipped. Do you have weeks?