Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fabric quality

Blog Entries
    Kaufman's has posted here that they do not sell seconds to anyone.

Blog Entries
    I would contact them and complain! good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ligia
    I received today some fabrics ordered on line.
    To my surprise the quality of some brand name/ designer fabrics are very poor. I got a roll of Kaffe Fassetīs prints that are very thin label says "made in Korea".
    R Kaufman also low quality. Is there a way of knowing who sells seconds before paying for fabric and shipping ?
    I have never had quality problems with Fabric Shack or Thousands of Bolts ! Iīm very disappointed : $90 on fabric put away ... :thumbdown:

This happened to me once. I made my displeasure known to the Mr. Fassett that he was being shabbily misrepresented. I noticed a big difference in fabrics and price the next year. ;-/

Please contact Hancocks-Paducah....I am sure they will be very concerned about your fabrics and will help you. This is a worldwide business known for their quality and customer service. I order from them all the time with no problems.

Blog Entries
    I've been very lucky with my few on line orders.Sticking with well known sites & the better mfgrs helps.Still, a bad order can happen, even with good places.The choice is either to contact them,hoping they will deal with the problem...or chalk it up to experience.For $90,I'd contact them 1st thing.
    Be sure to check on line sites for conditions of returns etc.

LQSs can also differ.I heard a customer telling an owner her last buy of 5yds was very thin,etc.The owner said "Sorry,to hear that".Her receipt got her nothing.
    In another LQS.....I showed the owner what poor directions came with a pattern bought there.She really looked it over & said,I'll refund the $$ & remove this from the racks.
    My notebook of great places to deal with/not to deal with is a big help.It keeps track of slow orders,poor business & poor fabrics.
    On the other hand,there's a longer list of great shops & great fabric.Only takes a min to up date & works for me.

About two years ago I had a small problem with my order from Hancock's and I found them very to be very helpful. They have a very good reputation so I would contact them and see what your options are. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I returned fabric to Hancocks. No problem, except I had to pay freight there and back. The quality of fabric (in all my transactions with them) has always been great. My last order from them, the quality and colors were wonderful, but one of the fabrics was not described or shown well on the web site. The scale of the fabric was much larger and it was actually printed in 2 vertical panels, rather than an overall pattern. I could not use it. I had purchased coordinating fabric at the same time (I was going to make a queen size quilt) and they took both fabrics back. I didn't ask them to pay the freight...don't know if they would have or not. Dani

I would definitely contact them. Your paying good money for these fabrics and depending on a manufacturer that you feel you can trust to deliver a quality product. They need to know that we are not going to stand for a inferior product.

Everyone really needs to speak up, especially now that the word out is the fabric is going to increase substantially in price over the next year. We need to get what we paid for!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Let us know what happens with your fabric!

Thanks for your inputs.
    I complained about the quality ( basic fabric) ,
    Hancocks said they would take it back but Iīll keep it.
    Intl shipping is expensive and I have already paid
    for 2 flat rate envelopes ! Iīd better stop wasting on this one ;-)
    Will continue to order on line from those Iīm used to :thumbup:

Blog Entries

Will PM you

Quote Originally Posted by ligia
    I received today some fabrics ordered on line.
    To my surprise the quality of some brand name/ designer fabrics are very poor. I got a roll of Kaffe Fassetīs prints that are very thin label says "made in Korea".
    R Kaufman also low quality. Is there a way of knowing who sells seconds before paying for fabric and shipping ?
    I have never had quality problems with Fabric Shack or Thousands of Bolts ! Iīm very disappointed : $90 on fabric put away ... :thumbdown:
    I think it has everything to do with the manufacture and not the seller on how the quality of the fabric is. I noticed this on the Kaffe Fasset fabrics a long time ago and that is why I never bought much of it. At the time I looked Kaffe Fasset was generally also more expensive by $2 a yard then most regular quilt fabric. I only buy the kaufman that are of a heavier quality. I would definitely contact Hancock of Paducah and see what can be done. I have dealt with hem for about 6 yrs and overal am pleased with their service.

Fabric manufacturer's produce several "levels" of fabric quality. That is why you can see fabric at Walmart for 4.99 with the same pattern and name that you saw at your LQS selling for 9.99. And you can't always tell by feel because they've begun to add strong fabric softeners to the lesser quality so it feels like higher quality, but once the fabric is washed it doesn't have that same soft feel. It isn't the name that counts, but the number of threads per inch that count. The better quality fabric has a high thread count. Alex Anderson recommends not to buying fabric with less than 60 threads per inch. If doing charity quilts, I don't worry about using the higher thread count, but if I'm doing an heirloom quilt I do.

Banned
    Hancock of Paducah is a first rate company and would not like to gain a reputation of sending cheesy fabric.
    I would definitely contact them, asking that they pay for the return and refund your money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2