Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric for quilt >

Fabric for quilt

Fabric for quilt

Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 PM

Batiks don't have information on the selvages since it is a dying process and not printing. I'm with ghostrider, your best bet is to shop locally for fabrics that will work for you.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:50 PM

The Labyrinth quilt is beautiful in Northcott fabric. I'd suggest Google to get an idea.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:19 AM

If it's the standard Labyrinth pattern, I bought the pattern at either a show or LQS and added whatever fabric I wanted.

I don't do kits as I prefer to pick out my own fabric.

This one has everything mixed in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539789[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 14524282570640.jpg  
Old 01-10-2016, 06:37 AM

Can you take a picture of the fabric from m the catalog or an online source? There is a website named www.missingfabrics.com that you could post the picture of along with your description and see if anyone has it who would be willing to sell it to you. I had great success with this site when I was looking for a batik jelly roll that had been discontinued for a couple of years. Within just two or three days a lady posted saying she had it and sold it to me.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Here's the thing about Keepsake Quilting (it's local for me), they never, ever disclose the manufacturer of the fabrics they sell. It's so you don't go buy it somewhere else. Even in the shop itself, the bolt ends are covered over with stickers to prevent you from seeing the source of the fabric. Furthermore, if you bought it as a kit from them in 2012, odds are just about zero that KQ still sells whatever fabric they used in the kit even if you knew the manufacturer's name.

Your best bet, if online shopping for batiks is too risky for you, is to try to find fabrics locally that will work to your satisfaction. Sorry.
Well that explains a lot! Thanks so much for the info. I live in the "boonies" as they say and only two quilt shops within 50 miles and I don't drive myself in traffic anymore so that's why I haven't gone looking. But I guess this is my only option left. I was hoping some of those who've made this quilt could give me the info but no one has responded in that way. That's one reason I started another post but QuiltnNan moved it here so now fewer people will see it. Another thing to clarify this, I was mistaken to say the kit was made from this fabric. I actually don't know what fabric was in the quilt kit. But in the same catalog was the Zen Garden medley that we wanted and it is very similar to the fabric they did use. Maybe I can contact Debbie Maddy somehow and she will answer with the info. I didn't see the fabric on the Princess Mirah site so maybe it is all gone. Thanks to all who have even read this and responded. I do appreciate all you shared. Have a good one everybody! And a blessed new year!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
If it's the standard Labyrinth pattern, I bought the pattern at either a show or LQS and added whatever fabric I wanted.

I don't do kits as I prefer to pick out my own fabric.

This one has everything mixed in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539789[/ATTACH]
That is beautiful Weezy! I love this pattern and can't wait to make it. I don't have batiks in my stash so this will require a major purchase and I am just not that sure of online fabrics. Thanks for showing me yours. I love it!
I don't like kits either although I have made two and they turned out quite well. One from keepsake quilting and one from Craftsy. Although I did have a couple of problems with them. I like to buy the fabric also knowing I can go back and get more if I needed to. Thank you again.

Last edited by Helen6869; 01-10-2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by pahega View Post
Can you take a picture of the fabric from m the catalog or an online source? There is a website named www.missingfabrics.com that you could post the picture of along with your description and see if anyone has it who would be willing to sell it to you. I had great success with this site when I was looking for a batik jelly roll that had been discontinued for a couple of years. Within just two or three days a lady posted saying she had it and sold it to me.
okay thank you. I thought there was a site to look for older fabric but didn't know the name of it. Thank kuo Pahega. I will give it a try.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
The Labyrinth quilt is beautiful in Northcott fabric. I'd suggest Google to get an idea.
The Northcotts are probably the correct fabrics but you cannot order from them. Thanks for the suggestion. Stonehenge may make the collection I think. not sure.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Those are Princess Mirah batiks. They are really nice fabrics. She used to have a warehouse in the town nearby, and they had warehouse sales on occasion. The first time I found the place the sample room manager was selling off discontinued fabric for $2 a yard. I bought $40 dollars worth of fabric and thought that was a lot, then thought some more and called her back, but she said someone else bought about $400 of the discontinued fabric. I tried to get in touch with her a few times after but never heard back – I guess she was no longer there. How I wish I had bought more fabric at the time, although 20 yards is plenty, of course, but still – batiks!
Was that in Napa?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
The Northcotts are probably the correct fabrics but you cannot order from them. Thanks for the suggestion. Stonehenge may make the collection I think. not sure.
I think you missed the point. I wanted to make sure it was the same Labyrinth. I bought just the pattern with NO kit.

It does give separate cut yardage amounts per fabric.

If you want the separate pattern, you can have it.

I go by color schemes. I love the colors of the desert southwest. I will mix fabric from everywhere including batiks if they fit.

Calico Carriage Quilt Designs has/had the pattern.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 01-10-2016 at 11:00 AM.