Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric softener?

Fabric softener?

For those that prewash, do you use fabric softener? I didn't and have had so much trouble with static and lint cling. Thanks in advance.
    Vicki in Colorado

Yes I do pre-wash the cotton fabrics and use fabric softener. I use Minky on the back and never pre-wash and never use fabric softener.
    Babylock Aria
    Brother NX 2000
    HQ Avante & ProSticher

I always pre-wash and use white vinegar as a softener.

I don't use softener. The fabric can be clingy in winter when first out of the dryer, but I don't have trouble afterwards. I'm not sure why I don't use softener; maybe I read somewhere not to?
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    If you don't want to use fabric softener, you can still manage the lint and cling-ons by using dryer sheets. Instead of using them in the dryer, simply rub a sheet on the fabric to neutralize the static.

I keep an unscented dryer sheet in my purse for flyaway, static-y hair and clothes.

I pre-wash using vinegar in the rinse. I recently started using aluminum foil balls in the dryer ....... they have reduced static electricity tremendously.

I prewash but do not use softener in either the wash or the dryer. I've never had an issue with static or clingy bits. Did you wash the fabric with other clothing or by itself?? I only ever wash the fabric by itself so as not to encounter any bleeding issues with other items.

I always prewash and never use fabric softener. I have never had a problem with it being clingy after it has sat for a while.

Power Poster
    i do not use fabric softeners or dryer sheets - for fabric or "other" laundry.

The question comes from a member in CO. That could account for the problem. The air is very dry there. Back East here we usually have more humidity in the air. I don't use fabric softener very often because I have a septic tank and try not to put anything extra in it.

I use white vinegar as a natural softener.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!