Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric store BOM programs

Blog Entries

Fabric store BOM programs

Hello!

I'm wondering how user friendly the various BOM programs at online stores are. I've looked at some at fatquartershop and now missouristar has some too.

I'm so new to quilting I sometimes feel lost about how to plan a project and thought this might be a way to do a bigger project without having to try to figure out how much fabric is needed before hand and how to figure out how to make a whole quilt.
    I've bought a ton of precuts with plans to sew them up but am not sure what to do with them now that I have them. lol
    For example, I just bought a fat quarter bundle and 10inch stacker of a fabric I really loved (pepper and flax) but now have no idea how to best turn that into a quilt.

I can't speak for Missouri Star's BOMs, but Fat Quarter Shops are great for new quilters. The directions are very easy to follow, with plenty of illustrations. In addition, I've always found that they include enough fabric to cover any mistakes you might make. I'm currently making the Bristle Creek Farmhouse and just received the fourth month. It's no longer for sale on their site, but they have a Designer Mystery Quilt that they do each year and it begins in June. The price is really reasonable and if you like the fabric (this year it's Fig Tree's Ella & Ollie) then you're sure to like the BOM. It is appropriate for beginner to experienced quilters.

You could also buy some of Missouri Star's Block Magazines or watch their tutorials for lots of great ideas on what to do with your pre-cuts.

Have fun with your new hobby!

They can be fun. Find a project you want to do so you won't lose interest before the BOM ends. Our local shop has a program that you pay $10 for the first block and fabric. Bring the completed block back next month and receive the next one free. You can complete a whole quilt for the tidy sum of $10.00.

I did the BOM with the cute critters applique from this shop with the laser cut option. The applique pieces were already cut and just need to be assembled. Hopefully, they will go together easily. I just received the last pattern and fabric pieces so don't have any feed back for you.

https://stitchinheaven.com/catalogse...at=&q=woodland

I can tell you it was a delight to get a package every month. I bought a bolt of fabric for the background so there will be enough in case of any mistakes or mis-cuts. LOL.

I have also done a BOM from here. During the BOM, I purchased additional fabric to make sure I had extra just in case.

https://inspirefabrics.com/product-c...-programs.html

More inspiration here for BOM and some small projects too.

https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/BOMs-Clubs-C29.aspx

Enjoy!

You could check Moda Bakeshop also. They have lots of quilts using
    pre-cuts. They also show the level of difficulty for each pattern.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/

Does anyone know if the patterns for BOM's are ever sold later? I've seen a few that I would like to have only to be told they were BOM's.
    Jan

Doesn't crazy have a block of the month. There are also many bloggers who do some which are just patterns and instructions which would allow you to use your precuts

Have you taken any classes at a LQS? Or perhaps, bought a book or pattern? Directions on how to do and how much fabric is needed is included. Watch youtubes offered by MSQC, Quilt In. A Day, Jordan Fabrics, just to name a few.start with something simple to get the basics, then you can expand your knowledge and practical, hands on experience by trying a different technique.........

Fat Quarter Shop has wonderful BOM.

There is also a new kid on the block, tehehe, Tina Dillard, from www.quiltingaffection.com.

Her new BOM Rambling Star will be starting soon and she uses Deb Tucker’s Studio 180 rulers (if you haven’t used those yet give them a try I own about six now and just found another one to add to my collection of tools.

Island Batiks Plum Delicious collection is used in the photo.
    Januari Rhodes
    26" Innova, LS, Pantovision, all on a 14' Frame

I received an email about Missouri Stars’ 3 new BOM programs yesterday morning - by the afternoon when I decided to enroll in the Edita Sitar one it was out of stock. Guess more popular than I thought.

I'm debating about starting BOM from Superior Threads this month. I like BOMs because they have the majority of decisions made for me. Sometimes, I like that.

I think a BOM sounds like a very good option for you.

Looking at quilts and quilt patterns on line and bookmarking those that appeal to you is a good way to accumulate options for how to use the fabrics you have on hand. It often takes a while to find the right pattern for a particular group of fabrics.
    Lisa

I had a bad experience with one online shop so won't do them anymore
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

check out FatCat patterns. They have free monthly downloads for their BOM
    Lynn

There are so many BOMs offered for free online that I always look them over first.
    This site (just one among many), lists BOMs for 2018. Most are free, some are not. Scroll down a wee bit, and click on any/all that look interesting to you.
    http://www.seamstobesew.com/2018-web-events-around-the-world/#more-14668

I am currently following and downloading several that I can't get to yet.

Google has more listed here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=2018+free+BOMs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

for some reason, I can't separate the link from the text in this post.
    Last edited by mindless; 05-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    I just saw a quilt I would love but at $29.95 per month for 12 months, it's too much money. for me anyway.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone! I decided to try the Fat quarter shop mystery one. I’m excited! I hope the instructions are easy to follow

I did the Freedom Bound BOM from Fat Quarter shop. Was pricey but had excellent instructions. Had enough extra fabric that I made a table runner. I would do another if I liked the fabric line.

The website Piecing the Past usually has a free BOW running. After it's finished, she sells the pattern. I did her Rest and Refreshing BOW (18 weeks) and it's a beauty! Now it's selling for $15 for all those patterns. Not bad at all. I did it in civil war fabrics, but you can use any line of fabrics you want, or go scrappy from your stash. Check out that site to see the pretty BOWs she has done, that are now for sale. If you get on her mailing list you'll get notice of the next free one before it starts. She also has beautiful reproduction fabric for sale, if you need any.
    http://www.piecingthepastquilts.com/home
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every Fall Bonnie Hunter has a Mystery Quilt online for free on her Quiltville site. This is also on Facebook. She does scrappy quilts, but you can do it controlled if you want. It is fun to sew along with others and watch the postings.

I do hope you have taken a beginning quilting class somewhere, preferably at a local quilt shop. that way you can meet other quilters and maybe even find quilting groups or guilds to join.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    Every Fall Bonnie Hunter has a Mystery Quilt online for free on her Quiltville site. This is also on Facebook. She does scrappy quilts, but you can do it controlled if you want. It is fun to sew along with others and watch the postings.

I do hope you have taken a beginning quilting class somewhere, preferably at a local quilt shop. that way you can meet other quilters and maybe even find quilting groups or guilds to join.
    i have, I took a beginning quilting class at the store I bought my machine from. I’m also planning to go to the next local guild meeting hoping to meet people. ��

I like going to an ongoing class that makes a particular quilt over time. My only problem is that I seem to fall behind and am always trying to catch up! LOL Mystery quilts arent for me because I want to know what I will end up with. Personally, the Bonnie Hunter quilts aren't my favorites. I like scrappy quilts but I don't like making 60 blocks all alike. I get bored with that. So, you might try looking at the quilt site of that manufacturer of your favorite fabric line and see what they have made up to promote the fabric. That can give you some ideas and help you decide how to use the fabric to suit you. Just a suggestion. Have Fun.