Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Help with Spinning Seams

Need Help with Spinning Seams

I have just completed my first Lone Star and while I thought I was being careful when I was pressing my seams, I still have too much bulk at the center where all the sections come together. I have watched several videos on spinning seams but most deal with four-patch. I am very visual so I was wondering if any of you have any good tips on how to spin these center seams or whether you could recommend a video or website. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I've never spun anything but a 4-patch, but I imagine the dynamic is the same. Looking at the back of your unit, you put your thumbs on either side of the seam and twist your wrists in opposite directions This twisting motion should pop the seam open.
    Lisa

You usually press the seams open in a lone star. I've only made a small one in a mini-class, but that is how we were taught to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
    I have just completed my first Lone Star and while I thought I was being careful when I was pressing my seams, I still have too much bulk at the center where all the sections come together. I have watched several videos on spinning seams but most deal with four-patch. I am very visual so I was wondering if any of you have any good tips on how to spin these center seams or whether you could recommend a video or website. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    The Lone Star is not forgiving. If your seams are not all exactly 1/4" or all a scant 1/4" it will not lay flat. Starching the fabric really helps. When you put the 2 sections together it's best to mark & pin to keep it from stretching. You also need to remove a few stitches, so the points will spiral & lay flat. Use a stiletto to hold the center points down while you press them out flat.

This site (scroll down) shows you how to do the center points & press them out flat.

https://quiltnotes.com/8-point-star-center/

Thank you for sharing this site--this is great information!
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I spin seams no matter how many points I've got. The key is you have to be pressing them all the same direction as you assemble, so that when you put the last pieces together, your seams will be all going the same way around the "circle". I also trim out bulk as I'm sewing each section. You only "spin" the very last seam.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thank you, all. I think I left asking this question too late. All of my seams are going counter-clockwise and I cheated by folding open one of those centre seams. It seems to have helped. I will know better next time.
    Last edited by Sailorwoman; 05-04-2018 at 05:27 AM.

I have heard of some people hammering a seam to make it lie flat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for pointing to a great site!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I've used a mallet to get them flat.

Watson

Great link. Thank you!
    I didn't make this beautiful GFG quilt but it's on my wish list to do