Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fabric-Use-Phobia

Quote Originally Posted by Bataplai View Post
    I suffer from this! Anyone else?
    I have great fabrics that I bought simply because I love them, without a project in mind, and now I can't bring myself to use them. I think 'If I use it, then I won't have this fabric anymore'. I find I do this more with my batik's than the other fabrics.
    all of us like our "pets", be glad you have them.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I think what we need is a " go ahead and cut it " day for those of us who haven't made that first cut into some special fabric we have been hanging onto.

oh I sure do. I try to limit my "savers". When I have enough new "savers" I will use or get rid of my least favorites. Keep in mind, I only have a one car garage that was converted into a sewing room. I can only fit as much as that room holds...lol.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I opened up my jelly roll that I love and became depressed. I loved it wrapped up. I buy fabric lines like whole fat quarter bundles, jelly rolls, layer cakes, charms and yardages of some of my fabric fabric from the line and set it up on my bookcase and won't use it. I have a thing about buying fabric lines and have them everywhere...in drawers, rubbermaid tubs, piled high on dressers and desks. I keep thinking I'll find a pattern and use them, but I can't bring myself to do it. I love my fabric and am afraid if I cut into it, I'll find the right pattern for it and it'll be too late because I used some of it for another quilt. Crazy talk here!!! Some of my fabric lines are a few years old and I need to use them. I'm glad other people feel the same way I do. Thanks for this thread!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Yes, I do it as well. Some are just too pretty to cut.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have a healthy stash of batiks...and every quilt store I go in, I get at least one more. I am really about ready to start cutting.

I will try to make a quilt from the stash and almost always have to buy something...such as a backing. Or fabric for the borders or something.

Blog Entries
    I have a whole bookcase full of fabrics that I just like to look at. I have a collection of fabric that I have won in the Fab Shop Hop. Those are my prize pieces and I am thinking of making a shop hop quilt, but don't have the heart to cut it.
    We are nuts, are we not?????? Sure we are, but I like that kind of nuts! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad to know other have this affliction. Thought I may have been the only one. Should have known my friend here would also feel this way. Thank you ladies.

OMG -this describes me to a "T"! Nice to know I am in such good company! Maybe we need a 12 step program!

Yep - I want to keep all my fabric for emergencies - LOL. What little I have! But everyone here has made me realize I MUST have a "stash", so I'm working hard on that. Hmm, how do you know when enough is enough?

Blog Entries
    PaperPrincess, I love that quote, "I am only one yard away from an episode of Hoarders." I am packing up all my quilting stuff and my stash in order to move and I am shocked by the amount. It is all neatly ruler folded but its still a ton of stuff. I am going to try to remember that quote before I buy another piece of fabric. The great news is we are moving to a house with a casita for my quilting! I can't quite believe its finally true! Uh, oh.......does that mean I have room for more stuff?
    Create with joy in your heart!

I like the scrapbook idea.

Power Poster
    I confess, I'm a fabric addict too and when I was working I could feed that addiction, however, with a disabled husband and no job, I'm happy that I have my stash (even though I gave away nearly half of it when we had to downsize due to all the medical bills) - the fabric was given to people I trust to use it wisely. I know it will take years to use, having the stash gives me the ability to make gifts of quilted items and I recently had a table at my church's Holiday Fair and sold half of what I brought. Talk about happy dance. I admit to going a little crazy afterwards with my new found "wealth", but after spending almost 5 months in a hospital for surgery and rehab after spinal surgery learning to use my hands again and learning to walk again, I felt I owed it to myself to splurge a little. However, I have to say that nearly 90% of what I purchased was on sale, so I was happy to spend and still save money. All my friends keep telling me how much happier I am since I started quilting again - so another reason for a "stash" I don't need counseling. LOL. Just enjoy and make yourself happy.

well..... all I can say is "I feel your pain"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    heberstitcher
    I am Always In Stitches in AZ

Like your machine and happy quilt. I have never seen a machine so unique.

I really like this idea - I just don't know if I'm disciplined enough to keep up with it. lol
    I'll have to dig out my scrapbooking box from the crawl space and see what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
    The great news is we are moving to a house with a casita for my quilting! I can't quite believe its finally true! Uh, oh.......does that mean I have room for more stuff?
    So envious ... how awesome!
    We have the space in our yard for a casita, but I haven't yet justified the $60-$80k cost of building one for a sewing room. lol

Friends, I have an announcement to make: I cut into some of my batiks yesterday!!! I'm actually making something with some of my favorite fabric. I did wince a little with each cut.
    I think I just need to start buying 2 yards of every batik. There have been a few times I've used one that I love unexpectedly in a project and then can't find it anymore to replace it.

It looks like most of us have that problem. I can definitely think of worse problems to have, but I do like ckcowl's idea of a swatch book.

Oh thank goodness, I thought it was just me!

Well I guess I'm the odd man out here. I love cutting into new fabrics! That's what I buy it for. I mostly make controlled scrappy quilts so I rarely buy yardage and I have a respectable stash but the only reason it's not getting used is because I can't quilt/piece fast enough. Not because I don't use it. Do it, ladies! It's very freeing.

This fabric bug... I have it, happy to just admire that its mine. and it's beautiful, and I love having it. I have officially put myself on a fabric diet, the one I'll start tomorrow. I love flowers, petite flowers, big flowers. At quilt class they called me "the flower lady"

I too have this disease!! I look at it...take it out....think about using it.....and......then....I......PUT IT BACK!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    start yourself a (swatch book) -- cut a 6" square from each fabric you love (*or 12") and bind them, or use ribbon, what ever to hold them together - i use a scrap book binder- and keep your lovely fabrics...then you can look through them, touch them, admire them when ever you want-- and use the yardage without fear of never having the fabric to admire again- you can also add 'notes' of the name/line, where it came from, the price...in case you want to go back & find somemore.
    That's a great idea.

I can identify with that. lol I have some fabrics that I got in Hawaii a couple of years ago that I can't make myself cut. A lot of them are batiks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast