Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric that is waiting patiently?

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    The question about only buying for one project at a time got me thinking. So my questions is, how many planned projects do you have waiting for you to get around to starting them? Meaning you have the pattern and fabric all ready and waiting to be made into something spectacular.

Me:

Trip Around the World: I've actually started this but its going slowly with all end of school year projects I've had.

Baltimore Bliss: Applique BOM

Blue and Green FQ quilt: I haven't decided on the pattern yet.

Rainbow FQ quilt: I haven't decided on the pattern yet.

Black and White Block Swap: Washed, just need to make them.

Floral Showcase quilt: I found a floral I love and bought a coordinating fabric. Its going to be a 2 fabric quilt on point somehow.

Patriotic Wallhanging: FQ pack of patriotic fabrics. Tossing around a few pattern ideas.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Gee -- I have to count them???? :oops: :oops:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    1. Quilted door curtain - bought fabric and designed pattern - put on back burner but will finish before autumn comes
    2. Silk quilt - 3 jewel colour fat quarters and dark gold tone on tone Dutch chintz border fabric, unusual black silk and hemp fabric - going to do card tricks wall hanging
    3. Chicken quilt - collecting fabrics and patterns, made one block so far!
    4. Dutch blue and white fabrics, making lots of small projects with them - everytime an appropriate pattern tickles my fancy
    5. Dog fabric ordered for kaleidoscope quilt for a friend in UK
    6. Farm panels from a lovely lady in NJ - going to make new bed quilt for DS because his is one of my first quilts and I now hate it! Also make him curtains to match. This will probably be the next thing I start, once my quilting queue goes down a bit!

I think that's everything I haven't actually started but got the fabric for - as for the WIPS, that's another story! :wink:

K x

Me:

1. Finish qulting my Lone Star quilt. The star portion is already SID quilted. Waiting until I get more practice on my new quilt frame / machine to finish quilting the rest.

2. Just picked up the fabric for a queen sized Bargello quilt for my niece's graduation later this month. She was supposed to send me copies of some of her original Anime Cartoon drawings. I wanted to applique them into a different design. I was even going to try and put a graduation cap on one of them But, she never sent them. So she get a Bargello, instead. I'm sure she'll like it anyway.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    Me:

1. Finish qulting my Lone Star quilt. The star portion is already SID quilted. Waiting until I get more practice on my new quilt frame / machine to finish quilting the rest.

2. Just picked up the fabric for a queen sized Bargello quilt for my niece's graduation later this month. She was supposed to send me copies of some of her original Anime Cartoon drawings. I wanted to applique them into a different design. I was even going to try and put a graduation cap on one of them But, she never sent them. So she get a Bargello, instead. I'm sure she'll like it anyway.
    Don't tell me - HORROR - you actually FINISH one thing before you start another???!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Yeah, come on Joyce, get your WIPS out! :wink: :D

K x

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Yeah, come on Joyce, get your WIPS out! :wink: :D

K x
    Well, I'm thinking about making a lot of quilts -- and I probably have enough fabric in my stash to make a couple hundred or so without going to the LQS! I don't consider them a WIP until I actually get them cut out.... :roll: :roll:

The Bargello will probably get sewn together and quilted, before the Lone Star gets finished. I'll be using invisible thread for the quilting on it, so perfection isn't needed. I'm using a contrasting variegated thread to quilt the Lone Star. So, more attention to detail is needed on that one. Also, there's no hurry to complete the Lone Star, since I'm making it for myself.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    The Bargello will probably get sewn together and quilted, before the Lone Star gets finished. I'll be using invisible thread for the quilting on it, so perfection isn't needed. I'm using a contrasting variegated thread to quilt the Lone Star. So, more attention to detail is needed on that one. Also, there's no hurry to complete the Lone Star, since I'm making it for myself.
    Phew, thank goodness for that - thought we had a serial quilter in our midst! :D

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    [quote=sewjoyce
    Well, I'm thinking about making a lot of quilts -- and I probably have enough fabric in my stash to make a couple hundred or so without going to the LQS! I don't consider them a WIP until I actually get them cut out.... :roll: :roll: [/quote]

:lol:

K x

Man, including ideas for the fabric I have that aren't final yet...

No Diamonds In The Sky pattern - just washed the fabric last weekend for it

Pattern from Jelly Roll Quilts book - have the Nature's Chorus jelly rolls and a few pieces from my stash and yardage for border.

Patriotic quilt - designed and have the fabric for.

Moda Aviary quilt - have the quilt designed and the fabric.

Charm square quilt - have 200 charms paired up for HSTs and yardage for the border.

Two jelly rolls, eight 1/2 yd. cuts and yardage from another Moda collection but haven't decided on a design.

Two jelly rolls, 1 layer cake, and 3 fabrics in yardage of another collection that I haven't decided on the design for.

Vibrant farmyard fabric that I have selected coordinating from my stash but haven't decided on the pattern.

Asian fabrics that I am working on the design for.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head since I'm at work and can't go look.

I have some in the planning stage and some I started.
    1. I have a basket weave quilt I just have to finish hand sewing down the binding on. (It's been at least a year :shock: )
    2. I was in a scrappy, happy house swap and only need about 6 more to make that quilt. That was about 9 months ago!
    3. I got 13 birthday blocks in November which are also houses. I got about 2/3 put together but it doesn't grab me so I've got it on hold until I come up with another idea.
    4. More houses I started to pp. Beautiful quilt but really over my head!
    5. I am in a small house swap now and I have no idea what I will do with them so don't know how many I will need.
    I've had a fixation on houses lately!
    6. I had a dear friend I wanted to make a double irish chain quilt for before she died but she took a turn for the worst and beat me to it. Thought I had lots of time... I still have that fabric.
    7. I have lots of solid fabric to make something Amish I haven't started because I haven't decided what to make.
    8. I have the fabric for a pinwheel quilt for one of the grandkids.
    9. A pile of batik scrapes to make a quilt for another grandkid.
    10. I won a watercolor quilt kit at an auction for charity I haven't started.
    11. I have a mountain of fabric to use for scrappy charity quilts I haven't gotten started with.
    12. Charms I have for a charm quilt before I knew the difference between cotton and cotton/polyester I have to go thru and get rid of the poly ones and save some more.
    13. Then there's the black & white swap quilt to do after they come in July.

Oh, my! I didn't realize. I was always going to be one of those who only had one quilt going at a time! I'd better oil up the machine and get going faster! I'll have to print out my list and get busy!
    :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Susie - unlucky 13, quick, add another one!

I'm so sorry about your friend, it must be really tough to use that fabric now, but how about a memory quilt for yourself in her honour?

K x

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    6. I had a dear friend I wanted to make a double irish chain quilt for before she died but she took a turn for the worst and beat me to it. Thought I had lots of time... I still have that fabric.
    I know how you feel......... :cry:
    I just lost my SIL/best friend and I had made her a quilt and wall hanging, will put pics up at a later time. But she REALLY wanted to see the sampler quilt I have been working on finished. I got it all put together and the chip border made, but she went sooner than expected so I haven't messed with it yet. But I will finish it!

Sampler quilt - all put together, just waiting for the long strips of sashing to be hand quilted. The chip border is made and waiting to be put on and quilted.

Birdhouse Village BOM

Sunflower Cafe' Wall Hanging

Choo Choo Train Bed Quilt for my grandson (it'll be his fourth in a year!) his mom, my DD, only has one so far and lets me know about it. So I'm pretty sure she'll get the one I make from the b/w block swap!

Patriotic Quilt and Wall Hanging for my DS, former Marine, went to school when he came home and will be graduating Sunday. He is now a Respiratory Therapist!

Water color Birdhouse Wall hanging

Baby Rag Quilt for one of my daughter's friends!

Pretty sure that's it!

Not too many....

1) Double Irish Chain with applique... working on the applique pieces, so some of the piecing still needs to be done, but I'm in no hurry until those applique pieces are ready.

2) Scrap quilt for my Grammy and Pappy... actually in the hoop in the process of quilting.

3) Star of Bethlehem... have the strips together, put together ONE larger diamond, several more to go.... 32 total???

4) True Lover's Knot... fabric is waiting patiently, BUT the templates have been prepared and are ready to be traced and cut out.

Tubs of fabric waiting patiently- how's that? I have my Project 2009 list of "things to do". I was at 22, have 4 done. Refuse to add more. Should start a 2010 list.

Working on right now- bricks and stones from the swap. And another one because I cut the bricks wrong for the swap ones so I made new bricks to match. (dp not have this on the 2009 project list) Have to finish the New Year's mystery one too.

I have 2 set out to start- the 5 tote bags for DD's bridal party and some pretty fabric I got last week with tea cups and pots on it to match the theme we did. This will be a table runner.

Last, but really most important- I need to get out the fabric that was left over from other DD's prom dress in '00 to make the flower girl's dress for the wedding on 6/13.

Keep reading the B&W swap and looking at the blocks. I would love to partake, but really need to keep the stress level down, so I will pass this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Susie - unlucky 13, quick, add another one!

I'm so sorry about your friend, it must be really tough to use that fabric now, but how about a memory quilt for yourself in her honour?

K x
    May 12, 2009 15:17:33 Subject: Re:Fabric that is waiting patiently?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    susiequilt wrote:

I know how you feel.........
    I just lost my SIL/best friend and I had made her a quilt and wall hanging, will put pics up at a later time. But she REALLY wanted to see the sampler quilt I have been working on finished. I got it all put together and the chip border made, but she went sooner than expected so I haven't messed with it yet. But I will finish it!
    Yes, I will definately make that quilt and think of her while I am doing it.
    She was so rundown from chemo they put her in the hospital and she contacted MRSA. She would have lived another year probably but then she would have had a horrible death so I know she is better off.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Thank you!!!!! Thank you all!!!! You've made me feel sooo much better about my piddlin' little ole' pile of things that need to be done!!

The guilt overwhelms me and I'm afraid to really get in there and line them up and count...lets just say its more than a couple, but less than dozens.. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Ok, where do I start? Right now, I'm piecing the Dakota Pathways twin quilt from Connecting Threads in indigos, tans and cream.

Because Iím relatively new to quilting and have very few fabrics gathered, Iím planning a mainland shopping trip with my aunt next month. My mind tends to go blank and I start to drool when I go into a fabric store, so Iíve been putting together a shopping list.

1. Bachelorís Puzzle in blues, mauves, creams
    2. Bento Box fat quarter Ė havenít decided color scheme
    3. Blue Streak in denim blues, reds, white shirting prints
    4. Card Trick in chocolates and roses
    5. Farm Friendliness in greens and creams
    6. Go Retro fat quarters in bright blues, greens, whites
    7. Mango Tango in oranges, pinks, greens, turquoises
    8. Rolling Fields strip quilt
    9. Southern Belle Ė havenít decided color scheme
    10. Yellow Brick Road in teals, browns, creams

All of these are scrappy, strippy, or block patterns that will, hopefully, keep me busy and out of trouble until my next trip!

The fabric waits patiently, I , however am not. I have many projects, all fabric collected and pattern planned, just waiting to be cut. They cry out for me sometimes!!! There must be 20 or so, some I know what I will do with and others I am still thinking about the perfect way to use them. I will lay awake at night planning quilts in my head...not a great way to get to sleep but that is when it is quiet and still and I can think! There is nothing like the feeling of envisioning the right fabric with the right pattern or design!!!

I have at least 15 and that is not counting the ones that are already started. The 15 have fabric and patterns picked just no time to sew them yet.

Lynette

Banned
    so far, from now until december, i have 17 orders for quilts from paying clients and the closing for december orders is still 6 weeks away - so i'm sure this will increase a few more.

then i have the black/white swap.

then my DH has 2 quilts on request.

then i have about 8 quilts that i'd like to make for myself to further my skills.

I can't begin to count the number of quit patterns I have bought fabric for and stored in my tubs. Ever time I'm sure what I will start next something comes along and changes it. Oh well, I'm having fun and enjoying myself.

Blog Entries
    I am planning a horse quilt for my niece (from pattern) and it is amazing how many fabrics can be horse mane or fur.

Crayon quilt from Peanuts/Charlie Brown for a Snoopy freak and I have muslin and peanuts fabric.

Then I saw the most colorful bright and happy fabric that wants to be a lantern quilt (Design in my head).

My niece has changed her room to be turquoise, and I have the fabric to support that.

One of the quilt stores in town has a program to send patriotic quilts to wounded soldiers so I have to do something to whittle down my 3 bins of blue.

...and I HATE THIS BOARD FOR ALL THE INSPIRATION I GET. lol just kidding. :oops:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast