Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric washers >

Fabric washers

Fabric washers

Old 04-18-2017, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

If it's a very long piece like I would use for backing then I do a loose pleat fold and run a basting stitch through the raw edges. You can also put raw edge to raw edge and do a basting stitch. I usually buy and extra 1/4 yard for shrinkage and you would have a few scraps left. Also buy the extra for mishaps. I use color catchers and white terry cloth towels to absorb bleeds. the white can always be bleached later and are great for pressing cloths.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:23 AM

I use a pinking blade on my rotary cutter to trim the ends. It is quick and fast and works well.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 AM

I think I know the posting you're talking about. They talked about sewing the cut ends together so that it forms a tube, rather than just zig-zagging each cut end. I tried it the last time I had to wash yardage and it worked great! All that's needed when you're done is to iron the sewn edge and cut off the end about 1/8".
Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I also think that it is important that the machine tub be large enough so the fabric can move freely in it.

It is the abrasion of the fabric that makes it look used when it is washed.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 AM

Oh good grief!!! Why didn't I think of fold/pin techinque? I'm always fighting with a wadded up ball of fabric and loose threads when it comes out of the drier...and then to add insult to injury, I have to dampen it to iron it flat! Great tip!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 PM

That accordion fold method got on my last nerve so I tried this method and machine basted the two ends together. This is the ANSWER!! So easy. And I can unsew the joined end easily since I seem to have be an expert at unsewing! IMHO, this is the very best way to wash long lengths of fabric trouble free and easy. Win-Win!
Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I think I know the posting you're talking about. They talked about sewing the cut ends together so that it forms a tube, rather than just zig-zagging each cut end. I tried it the last time I had to wash yardage and it worked great! All that's needed when you're done is to iron the sewn edge and cut off the end about 1/8".
Old 04-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

For those times when you want to wash long yardage ( more than 2 yards) the accordion fold and pinning the selvages with very large safety pins has worked well for me. I trim the cut edges with pinking shears or baste stitch them if you don't have pinkers.

Then fold the fabric and use large safety pins every four inches along the selvage edge to hold all together.

After it comes out of the washer it may look a mess, leave the pins in and shake the fabric out.

If you are drying it in a dryer just pop it in or dry it on a cloths line. It was a brilliant idea which I learned so long ago I don't remember who it was but Kay Wood comes to mind.

peace

EDIT: A good reason for doing this sometimes is if you are using a border print in a quilt you don't want to piece it together for length. Having a nice single piece looks better.

Last edited by ube quilting; 04-19-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I do similar to this, but accordian fold mine into about 10" pleats and put about 4 safety pins across the top and bottom; and when I take it out of the washer I shake it gently to get it to hang back into the "pleats" before putting it into the dryer. (I have never done more than 10 metres this way)
This is the way I do mine. Learned from this awesome board.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM

I sew the ends with a zig-zag stitch and then accordion pleat the folds and pin each end through the selvedge. There is no balling up twisting into knots, so I highly recommend this method.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM

I run my washer on the extra gentle for the wash- very slow agitation. I still do a high spin. Washed as much as 7 yards of extra wide backing and it wasn't a problem getting it out of the wash and into the dryer.