Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric with Writing...ideas? >

Fabric with Writing...ideas?

Fabric with Writing...ideas?

Old 04-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Default Fabric with Writing...ideas?

I have 6 FQs in asst bright colours and 1 m of black, all of which have writing on them in white or black cursive, depending on the background colour. You can't really read the writing unless you get up super close, you can just tell it is lines of writing.

What pattern can I use that fabric for? It is directional, obviously.

Thanks, Watson
Old 04-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Sometimes I have seen fabrics with word on them used as a background fabric if the other fabrics are bright enough. I also see Lori Holt (quilt designer) use a lot of fabrics with words on them. You might want to go to her website and look around at her blocks and see how she uses fabrics with words or some kind of writing on them. Her blog is Bee in my Bonnet. I have a couple of her books and use them all the time for ideas.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I just use it like a regular fabric. I have used it in a quilt, placemats, potholders, wall hangings , as lining in a purse and as the main fabric for coin purses. It is really fun to use and sometimes it is really just a bonus to see the words in a block.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM

It depends on the fabric, I have a tiny little black moo... on white I've used as a black/white and as a lined fabric.

I have good success thinking in terms of a crossword puzzle -- that black with the colors as 9-patches and sashing.

One of my regular donation blankets is an alphabet quilt. I start out with a 8" (finished) square of fabric for each letter -- so A is for Apple, B is for Bear, etc. When I quilt it together, I have outlines of each letter so there is a big A, B, quilted into the fabric. If you set them 5 x 6 for 30 squares, that means you need a placer for each corner. I'm always looking for alphabet fabric sorts of things for the borders. The quilt below was a lap quilt for a friend who was retiring from teaching, much of that as an English teacher so I had books and story time.
Attached Thumbnails suzan-alpha-2-.jpg  
Old 04-26-2020, 04:15 PM

I just finished piecing a patriotic wall hanging made crockpot cabin blocks. Some of the strips in the blocks were made from fabric that has writing on it. I also used fabric with writing on it to make decorative pillows for my bed.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:36 PM

one of my fabric fabric that I used on a double wedding ring had writing on it. I only used the fabric with writing one it mixed with other fabric. I used the fabric with writing for some of the little pieces in the rings and I used the fabric for backing
Old 04-28-2020, 06:55 AM

I love tto use fabrics with writing on them as background fabrics on a number of blocks. Right now I am using a great deal of fabrics with writing on them to make mask. It is one on the prefered fabrics that I have been using and I get request for 2 of them. With a white background the writing seems to be a 'happy' feeling and the cream one is more a 'serene' fabric for this project. I have a lot of it so I will keep at least a yard for after COVID is over to use in another quilt.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:38 AM

Iceblossom, that is a very cute idea for a quilt...my "noggin" would be challenged with trying to find all the fabrics for that one. Great job!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:35 AM

Some letters are hard, Mermaid! N is surprisingly difficult -- in that one it was Nests (as in bird nests), Nuts, Nuns, Newspapers... Numbers seems like a cop out but I've used it too. I know what a narwhal is but how many people could identify it -- and yes, I have actually found narwhal fabric before! I is pretty much always Ice Cream. J is usually Jelly Beans but I've had Jets too.

The S block is a Snowball made of Shiny Stars with Super Suz (photo shopped from a sneaky snapshot and some free clip art). My current x-ray fabric is actually a blend but I think I can be forgiven. Otherwise sometimes there are Xs and Os fabric and if I ever come face to face with a xylophone print I'm gonna get yardage!

Having the big outlined letters quilted in holds it down and helps you figure out that it is the alphabet and not entirely random fabrics.

I may have done upwards of 20 of these over the years as donation projects but this was the first geared towards an adult. I just felt it was fitting for her and the occasion and chose some options I normally wouldn't... H was Hummingbird (usually horses of some sort), C was Crayons because she doesn't like cats...
Old 04-30-2020, 05:38 AM

Maybe you could use the fabric for the borders of a quilt. Look forward to seeing a picture of how you decided to use it.