Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Falling Charms (MSQC) Question >

Falling Charms (MSQC) Question

Falling Charms (MSQC) Question

Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 AM

Has anyone noticed in her tutorial that the square she holds up to demonstrate, is the opposite to the ones she sews? It would make the charms falling from upper right of the quilt towards lower left. IOW, the blocks would have reverse 7's and L' s. The quilt hanging behind her has the charms falling left to right. True 7's and L's.
No wonder I was getting confused when trying to make drawings. :-) I am easily confused.

Last edited by GrammieJan; 10-26-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info and particularly to the Packer fan for your lovely pics. Go Pack Go!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:12 AM

Thanks for that link - think I will try making that!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM

I just bought 4 packs of charms from MSQC. So glad for this post, and after seeing it I went over to watch the video. I think I will give that a try, those charming Falling Charms. But need to get the jelly rolls first. Glad for this post because I was wondering what to do with the Charms. Just fell for their charm when I saw them. Jenny has some really good daily deals in case you don't get her emails, you may want to sign up.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Thank-you. This is very helpful. I am going to start cutting up some strips and work on getting rid of more of my scraps. I donated a ton of scraps a few weeks ago...but the basket of scraps just keep multiplying. I am debating on just cutting them up and donating them to GW - some lucky quilter just may find a bunch of charms
Originally Posted by Mimiqwerty View Post
I've made a couple so far (I'm at work now shhhh! so I'll post pics when I get home to my iPad). Each 5" charm square is framed on two sides (top and one side) with two 2.5 inch wide strips cut at 5" and 7". I know that Jenny at MSQC just sews the charms on to a long jelly roll strip, but I get better accuracy when I cut the strips to 5" and 7" and chain piece (sew the 5" strip on first, then go back and sew the 7" along an adjoining edge so the two strips form an "L" on the charm square). Once all these are done, just arrange the squares with the added 2.5" border edges forming "L"s and "7"s across the quilt. The next row reverse that ("7"s and "L"s). I hope you can understand that. I'll add a pic or two tonight. Mary
Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM

DJ, I hope you will make the Falling Charms quilt. I made it when the video came out. Like you, I prefer printed instructions; but I admired the quilt Jenny made so much that I did not want to wait for Quilting Quickly to come out. Actually, by following the video, the quilt was easy to make. I used charms in a design for children and gave the quilt to one of my daughter's foster children who has autism. The little girl loves her quilt as much as I enjoyed making it for her. I know you will enjoy making your quilt.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Deb....when you made the 3 of these quilts did you do as they show in video sewing each charm on the long strip or did you do as suggested here...cutting up the strip in 5" and 7 " pieces? I'm getting ready to make this quilt and want to know best way to proceed.
Also I'm going to cut my strips from yardage instead of using jelly roll....any idea on how much yardage it will take? I'm excited to make this gorgeous quilt! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I made three of these in two days - (yes on a weekend - too bad for dishes and laundry haha) One was fall, one was spooky Halloween and one for Christmas. The Christmas on is on display at Witch's stitches, a LQS in Big Flats, NY and I have been asked to teach a tutorial on this! Sorry - no pictures - I am tech-y challenged with postings. It is very easy.....
Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 PM

What a great scrappy quilt..thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by dianna1234 View Post
Deb....when you made the 3 of these quilts did you do as they show in video sewing each charm on the long strip or did you do as suggested here...cutting up the strip in 5" and 7 " pieces? I'm getting ready to make this quilt and want to know best way to proceed.
Also I'm going to cut my strips from yardage instead of using jelly roll....any idea on how much yardage it will take? I'm excited to make this gorgeous quilt! Thanks.
Sent you a PM! Oh, I should say that I just made a table runner, not a quilt.....I could figure out the yardage if you want to make a quilt. Just pm me again!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by IraJane View Post
I think I've made 5 projects using this pattern. For the granddaughter I made a twin quilt using 5" squares and 2 1/2" strips and for her doll I used 3 1/2" squares with 1 3/4" strips. Any size square with strips half the width will work. Love this pattern for a quick project.
Actually, the ratio doesn't have to be exactly two to one. I'm using scraps and older fabrics to make small quilts for the local animal shelter, and a bunch of already cut 4-1/2" squares with 2-1/2" strips made this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444397[/ATTACH]

It's such a versatile design, looks more complicated than it is, and goes together so fast. Love it!

Daffy
Attached Thumbnails charms.jpg