Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Praise their effort, and lovingly offer advice on how to improve techniques on future projects. Perhaps say "I had the toughest time with diamonds when I first started, but I found this trick". It's all in the attitude behind the words.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM

I just joined today. I have not made a quilt yet. When I finally get one done; I will post. Please be kind but most definitely HONEST. I need all the help I can get. Love this board. I have been lurking and you are all so helpful!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM

I agree with this! Whaty one person likes another may not. I won't give false praise of something I don't care for, I just keep my opinion to myself. If a person asks for a critique than I think we should be honest with our opinion, if it is given.

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM

I agree with feline fanatic 100%.
Angela
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM

I believe you should only give advice if you were asked for it. When I post a picture of one of my quilted projects I am sharing with friends. I don't ask for criticism because I know what I didn't do right. When I get complimentary comments I feel boosted up and feel more confident to try something new. If people started pointing out my flaws then I would be hurt and lose interest entirely and probably not share any more photos.

It is just like with kids. If they show you a picture they have been working on really hard and the first thing you do is criticize some part of it they would be devastated. I always point out what I like about their picture. " I like how you used that blue on the door of the house", etc.

As to saying nothing...I have mixed emotions about it. Yes, saying nothing isn't hurtful but when I've shared a photo of my project and nobody comments then I feel like nobody could find anything worthy to compliment.

I think this is kind of one of those no win situations. The best course of action is to be kind and thoughtful to everyone on this board no matter how inexperienced or masterful the quilter is.

Just my 2 cents........
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM

When I look at a project I don't particularly care for, I read the first couple pages of comments. Most of the time, these kind remarks are about something I didn't notice. I am learning from their praise how to look and examine a quilt. If I was told the truth about my first sewing project, I probably would have quit. I am so glad that someone out there found something positive to say! So, here's to all those wonderful ladies and gents who take the time to say something special and at the same time teach me kindness and observation!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM

I was always taught if you don't like the way something looks or the way it was made simply say, "That is nice". When I hear those words a light bulb goes off in my head. People want to be helpful most of the time so I delve a little further with some more questions trying to find out why they are really not crazy about something but don't want to hurt my feelings....has come in helpful many a time.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Everyone started with their "first" quilt, and I would venture to guess, they weren't perfect or necessarily well-blended color choices (I know mine wasn't!). But, if I had someone say it was ugly colors, or my seams didn't match, etc, I might not have made another. I, for one, will offer my opinion on color, ideas for borders, etc (although, I am no expert, either) IF asked, but if someone is so proud they have decided to post it on the board, I would never think of bursting their bubble. We,on this board, are of ALL levels of experience, and we should all be encouraging to other quilters to continue. Like others have stated, if it is really terrible (and that is according to each of OUR standards), I will make a comment like "congradulations!" or find some positive thing to say, or just not comment. Having said that, imagine someone posting their first block-quilt-etc, and hardly anyone commented! That right there would be very deflating to the proud quilter.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

I only give my opinion when asked for. I prefer not to say anything if I don't like something that is posted. I just leave it and go on to the next. I have given members in my guild my opinion in the past and found that to be a no win situation.They really didn't want my opinion they just wanted me to like their project. Oops. Personally, I hate false platitudes.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM

I always try to stay positive...if I can't say anything constructive, I usually don't say anything at all.

I will, if I see a problem (bad seam, color values, etc.), I'll make a suggestion that will be constructive on the next quilt.

For example...a flying geese block that has the tip cut off...I'll say something that I like about the quilt, then mention that I have a problem with having to remember that when stitching seams, to make sure all stitching lines cross exactly, so I don't inadvertently cut off a point. I'll also mention that if I do cut off a point, when I secure that block with quilting, I don't follow the cut off point, I quilt a point...it throws the vision off and you don't really notice the cut off point.

I try to complement & give a quick lesson in the process. You don't want to discourage a person who may/may not have the knowledge on how to do a certain block or method...you want to teach them.

I'll also make color suggestions..."Your colors are very nice, have you thought of perhaps trying this..." Then I go on to mention something about value.

There is absolutely no reason to just plain be rude and put down someone's work, just to tout your own skills...be nice and teach when you make a comment.