Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 AM

I agree that sometimes keeping quiet when viewing another's work is not a bad idea.

I think what was really the gist of the original post, was that someone made rude remarks just to be "smart". Their comments were not made to help, they were pure criticism...just to put the work down...not to instruct on how to make it better.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM

There's a place for all artists in our society and if quilters don't value your work reach out to the other art communities such as fiber artists which tend to break all the rules too.[/quote]
---------------------------------------
Yes, you're right and thanks for reminding me. One family story comes to mind. One of DH's artist cousins was informed that her oil painting (modern art) had won a blue ribbon and she invited close family and friends to go with her to see it. When they saw it, family gave praise, friends loved it, she screamed!!! The Judges had actually hung it upside down!!!
She ranted and raved about the irony of it all, while others were trying to give her complements.
Yup, her wrong way art won the blue ribbon!!!
I saw a picture of it once, seemed to me you could hang it either of four ways and it would still look like...whatever you wanted it to be.
The judges might not have liked it much right side up. Art is a self judged thing, and artists in any form can only hope the judges themselves will see it as such.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
My best friend recently showed me a quilt that I had made for her when she had her first baby 38 years ago. OMG!!!! I can't belive I even sent it to her. That's a reminder to me about people making their first quilts, how much work goes into even the most poorly put together quilts. If I had given up then I wouldn't be able to do what I do now. Who are we to critize? Any effort should be praised!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Nonsense. It must have been better than you think, and of course it was good enough for her to keep for that 38 years. How many other baby quilts are still with the original owners?
Congratulations on making a baby quilt that both the mother loved enough to use and then keep for grand kids!!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 AM

I try to go by what the person is saying. And the experience level. Are they asking for advice on improving or excited they finished it? If they are happy with what they've accomplished then I find something nice to say about it.

If they aren't happy with it, I'll talk with the about what they think the problem is and how I've probably done the same thing and this is what I've done to prevent this problem.

Most of the time I'll try to find something nice about it. Or just say "wow, what an interesting quilt, what a unique way of putting fabrics together."
Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 PM

If you have to tell them a lie its not playing fair. I told a lady I can see all the new things you are learning. We all continue to learn. I trust people to be fair and when I need help its nice to get a straight answer.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
I read the quilt police thread and some of the comments made me think about the issue of giving false praise.

When someone has made a quilt that is poorly put together or there isn't enough contrast with colour choices, or it just plain doesn't look right, are we being fair by complimenting them?

I don't believe in embarrassing a person by pointing out mistakes or telling them that they have to do it the "right" way. I don't believe in telling someone their work is lovely when it isn't. Being positive and encouraging is essential, but damning with faint praise is harmful.

Where is the line between trying to help someone improve their skills and being the dreaded hated quilt police?
I say nothing unless asked and my first comment would be something like, "It doesn't matter what I think ; it's what you think that matters." If they truly want a critique I would stress that I am no expert and make many mistakes, but talk to me about how this came to be. In telling me about the experience of putting the quilt together, she/he will find the answer was inside all along.

Personally, I think if I have to ask, I already know something is wrong or I'm looking for a compliment. For newbies, tho, encouragement and praise is essential.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM

It all depends on what the person posting is asking for or if they are even asking for an opinion. It all boils down to the old addage: If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut!

Now, if someone is asking for an opinion or critique I will try to give an honest opinion without hurting anyone's feelings. If you are asking for an opinion and someone says something that hurts your feelings, maybe you should think twice about asking for an opinion. Honesty is the best policy, you just don't need to be hurtful about it. All this is just my opinion. Hope I haven't hurt any feelings.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM

If someone asks for an honest opinion, I will give it. If the quilt is just posted without asking for opinions, I will only say I like it if I do. I won't give an unsolicited opinion.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Dittoes!
Your tastes are not mine, nor mine yours. It isn't my place to decide if someone is giving false praise, either. Life is much more simple and straightforward if one makes sure that one is honest in one's own opinion and not worry about others' motives.
Time proves the integrity of compliments and the persons who give them. <wave>
Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I figure they wouldn't be making it unless they liked it. so it's lovely, no matter what. :-D