Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by ILOVECOLORS
I STRONGLY AGREE...HOW WILL WE IMPROVE IF WE DONT GET OTHER PEOPLES "HONEST" OPINIONS...????
My thoughts exactly. I recently posted a picture of a Dresden plate that I did. I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm getting some great advice to make it better.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by Maia B
Well, in person, things can be said gently, gauging the reaction of the quilt maker, to encourage and guide; or one may be able to see that even honest, gentle, constructive criticism will squash the budding artist, and thus only offer honest praise for what IS right. But online, even totally correct and kindly-phrased criticism can hurt and discourage. Tone, circumstances, so much cannot be conveyed online, so unless someone is asking for an opinion or frank assessment, I either praise what I honestly like, or move on without comment. I LOVE that this board is warm, kind, friendly, and non-judgmental 99.9% of the time. Other boards are not always so, and it's a shame. Let's protect what we are so fortunate to have here.
Well said.
I agree with your comment.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 AM
RDM

Good question-I hope I give honest praise, remembering colors/patterns one quilter likes may not be my favorite, but is it nicely done? If I ask for critique, I want truthful opinions to improve my quilt with-that is what I try to offer others when they ask. I do consider whether it's a first quilt or a beginner to encourage at a time when they are learning. Honest critique is good and I believe one reason we are here, seeking advice from each other, how we offer it is important-is it stated constructively. I've received great help and appreciate the caring attitude found here. We are all at different levels in our craft and the direction we choose to take it to. I will think upon this for future comments. If someone shares but does not ask for critique, would you give advice, praise, or no comment?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Asking for advice vs false praise are very different things.
I will give honest advice if I'm able and want the same from others.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

i think there is a huge difference between giving friendly constructive criticism and being a nit-picky- (holier than though) quilt police person.
i want to know when i could use some friendly advice that will improve my quilting skills- i do not want the 'police' to pick apart my project and act as if only 'their=way' is the right way.
i do believe there is a huge difference between the two= and i strive to not behave like one of the (power hungry-pickers)and always show support and constructive advice
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 AM

I agree with sending a PM if advice wasn't asked for. IMHO

If it's a "show and tell" they are proud of what they have accomplished. Be nice or be quiet...

If it's "tell me what you think" then comments to me are still on the nice side.

If it's "oh man where/how did I screw this up--I need help" then they have specifically asked for all the help they can get. Still be nice but offer help.

Never say something that could embarrass the maker...we want to encourage everyone to keep on keeping on :)
Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 AM

I would comment on the colors or the contrasts, things like that.
Egos are tender plants and must be nurtured.

BUT should anyone say their quilt is going to a judged show and wanted any criticism, then it should be an honest answer. That one small defect that her mind hasn't seen, might get her quilt passed over. That's what she/he wanted, advice and that is what she/he honestly asked for and should get.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 AM
saf

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I can always find something positive to say. I was raised by the saying, if ya cant say something nice, say nothing at all.
Ditto! We novice quilters are usually only too aware of the faults and also usually ask for advice. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thank goodness.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM

when i hear talk of this it always makes me think of the quilts of Gee's Bend.

these quilts break many of the quilting rules and many quilters do not see the appeal of them yet the art community loves them and they sell for thousand of dollars for small quilts.

so, just remember that if a quilt doesn't fit the traditional standards of quilting doesn't mean it isn't a prized piece of art.

there's a place for all artists in our society and if quilters don't value your work reach out to the other art communities such as fiber artists which tend to break all the rules too.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 AM
saf

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by Maia B
Well, in person, things can be said gently, gauging the reaction of the quilt maker, to encourage and guide; or one may be able to see that even honest, gentle, constructive criticism will squash the budding artist, and thus only offer honest praise for what IS right. But online, even totally correct and kindly-phrased criticism can hurt and discourage. Tone, circumstances, so much cannot be conveyed online, so unless someone is asking for an opinion or frank assessment, I either praise what I honestly like, or move on without comment. I LOVE that this board is warm, kind, friendly, and non-judgmental 99.9% of the time. Other boards are not always so, and it's a shame. Let's protect what we are so fortunate to have here.
Well said.
Thank you for the voice of reason and compassion.