Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Family Geneology Quilt >

Family Geneology Quilt

Family Geneology Quilt

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

When I made my dads I used a tree. I used pictures. He was on one side of the roots and my mom on the other (as kids and teen ). Their wedding photos were on the trunk and us kids, grandkids and greats were the branches. It turned out great and he loves it.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM

My sister-in-law is making a wall size geneology quilt. What she is doing is taking family pictures 2 inch by 2 inch printing it on iron on transfer paper with the names and dates under the pic and then iron it on the fabric. She has pics that go way back to the 1800's. The quilt will be 12 ft by 12ft or more when it is done.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah Rae
My sister-in-law is making a wall size geneology quilt. What she is doing is taking family pictures 2 inch by 2 inch printing it on iron on transfer paper with the names and dates under the pic and then iron it on the fabric. She has pics that go way back to the 1800's. The quilt will be 12 ft by 12ft or more when it is done.
That's cool!!! Where in the world is she going to put it? My ceilings aren't 12 ft except in the FR where there's cathedral. :-D :-D
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 AM

They have huge barn that they are fixing up for a family reunion next year. The quilt is going to hang in the barn. She does geneology and has found all of her relatives. It took 15 years to find them all. I can't wait to see the quilt finished.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 AM

They have huge barn that they are fixing up for a family reunion next year. The quilt is going to hang in the barn. She does geneology and has found all of her relatives. It took 15 years to find them all. I can't wait to see the quilt finished.
Oh My Lord!! 15 yrs!! That is truly dedication. Please don't take this wrong, but I'm visualizing a platform going across it and individuals climbing up a ladder so they can see everything. Hope it comes before the drinks!! I know I probably would have to start at the bottom and work myself up!! :D Like eating Lay's chips, once you start you can't stop!! :lol:
Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 AM

It took her 15 years to find all her family and get the pictures of all family members. It is so ausome that she has been so dedicated to her project. She has put a lot of money in too it as well. What you said about hanging the quilt maybe she should make a frame stand were people can walk around it. Think I will suggest that, thanks for pointing out the hanging were it would be hard to see the pictures.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 AM

I just think that once I started going up the tree I wouldn't want to stop until I finished. Maybe something that has the ability to roll the bottom up to bring the top down? Sorta like those new window shades that go up/down? This is going to be some conversation starter for the night!!!! Its absolutely wonderful!!! Kudos to her!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2010, 03:08 AM

I am making one for my mother. It is a crazy patch, with 48 pieces per block. Each block represents a month. Everyones name, b-day etc., goes into their perspective month. Its going to be really cool when its done.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM

These are really cool ideas!! Now I just would have to find the time to investigate all of this!! :lol: :lol: it probably would take me more than the 15 years.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM

How about some pictures when it is finished????