Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Farmers Wife 1930 blocks.... >

Farmers Wife 1930 blocks....

Farmers Wife 1930 blocks....

Old 04-03-2024, 09:18 AM

Default Farmers Wife 1930 blocks....

My husband died suddenly in October and I've struggled with many things and quilting has been one of the things I'm having a hard time getting back into.

I've been looking for inspiration (and there's a lot of it out there) but nothing much has appealed to me. However, I follow Kathleen Tracy's FB page and they've been doing the Dear Jane quilt. I don't have that book but I do have the Farmer's Wife (both of them) and had started making FPP blocks from the 1920's book. I've been looking for the patterns and finally used the CD that came with the book. However, that told me nothing about the patterns or how to print them off. At some point in time way back when, I did find a website that had all the patterns but I had misplaced it (but I did eventually recently find the website again).

I started reading about posts on here from way back and how to get the patterns. Unfortunately, those sites are shut down now. Then, I was reading somewhere about people complaining about Laurie Hird's book and what a rip off it was because the patterns were not available anywhere. This goes way back. Some of them were so angry that said the were taking the book back to Barnes & Noble to get their money back. They felt cheated. The expensive templates are still available though.

All this to ask.....has anyone done this quilt? Do you feel the book(s) were a rip off?
Old 04-03-2024, 09:37 AM

I have the Farmer's Wife books also, but none of the Dear Jane ones.
This is a website I have bookmarked with all the Dear Jane patterns available (downloadable) for free:
https://www.hobbystash.com/dear-jane...stickle-quilt/
no need to buy a book....

I'm very sorry for your loss

just watching someone else quilt helped me get my quilting mojo back
The Last Homely House on YouTube is good for that
I went to her first video made 5 years ago now, started watching and got hooked. Several others here like her as well:
https://www.youtube.com/@thelasthomelyhouse
Old 04-03-2024, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I have the CD of the Farmer's Wife. In my book the instructions for printing are on page 11. It's very easy. There are cutting instructions, foundation patterns, diagrams each block and assembly. I don't think I could want anything more for the patterns.
Are you asking about the Farmer's Wife blocks or the Dear Jane blocks?
Old 04-03-2024, 12:51 PM

I just looked at that link I posted...all the quilt patterns are there, but the border patterns are not all there.
I haven't used any of the Hobby Stash patterns, because I have the DJ add on for EQ8, but I still haven't made the quilt yet.
Can't comment on the books.

Onebyone, I think she wants to know if anyone has actually made the DJ quilt (or maybe the Farmer's Wife quilt?), and for opinions on Laurie Hird's book...not blocks

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 04-03-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

She wrote: I don't have that book but I do have the Farmer's Wife (both of them) and had started making FPP blocks from the 1920's book. I've been looking for the patterns and finally used the CD that came with the book. However, that told me nothing about the patterns or how to print them off.
I started reading about posts on here from way back and how to get the patterns. Unfortunately, those sites are shut down now.

What patterns from which book? The CD in Farmer's Wife print out fine with all instructions and measurements from the CD.

Hard to understand exactly what she is asking about.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:49 PM

yes... i don't know
Is this the book you have?
http://www.susangatewood.net/TheFarmersWife.html
Old 04-03-2024, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

That's the book I have with CD. The person in the link wore: I drafted all the blocks in EQ6/EQ7 and have printed foundation patterns and/or rotary cutting instructions .pdf files for each one.

The CD has the foundation patterns to print I don't understand why they had to be redrafted in EQ for her friends to print out.
If you follow the instructions the patterns are all there either pieced or foundations. At least on my CD they are. You have to have the CD downloaded to computer to be able to print.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-03-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:16 PM

You could use Kathryn Kerr's site for Farmer's Wife/Dear Jane style blocks, too. It is free to use. https://kathrynkerr.com/365-challenge-quilt/ There is a thread here in QB with pictures on what folks are doing.

I am very sorry for your loss. It is hard and I know of no fast way to get over the loss. But we are here for you if you want to talk.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
I have the Farmer's Wife books also, but none of the Dear Jane ones.
This is a website I have bookmarked with all the Dear Jane patterns available (downloadable) for free:
https://www.hobbystash.com/dear-jane...stickle-quilt/
no need to buy a book....

I'm very sorry for your loss

just watching someone else quilt helped me get my quilting mojo back
The Last Homely House on YouTube is good for that
I went to her first video made 5 years ago now, started watching and got hooked. Several others here like her as well:
https://www.youtube.com/@thelasthomelyhouse
Thanks you so much for the link. I've had both books for years but got discouraged when I couldn't get the patterns. I like that Youtube channel, too
Old 04-04-2024, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the CD of the Farmer's Wife. In my book the instructions for printing are on page 11. It's very easy. There are cutting instructions, foundation patterns, diagrams each block and assembly. I don't think I could want anything more for the patterns.
Are you asking about the Farmer's Wife blocks or the Dear Jane blocks?
Farmer's Wife. I have the CD also and it will download but when I look at the contents there's only pattern number and no information. I don't have a page 11. I've had the books for years so maybe the newer books had better CD content. Today, when I tried to open the downloads in Adobe Reader, it said content cannot be found. I think I'm giving up on FW and going to DJ.