Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilt to make from 90s country aesthetics >

What kind of quilt to make from 90s country aesthetics

What kind of quilt to make from 90s country aesthetics

Old 03-30-2024, 12:05 PM

Default What kind of quilt to make from 90s country aesthetics

I primarily buy fabric in lots and have developed quite the collection of fabric that fit this particular aesthetic I can remember from maybe late 80s early 90s. It’s all dusty blues with hints of mauve and off white. Homespuns in this blue and cream, lots of mauve hearts/small flowers on this tone of blue, It’s kind of 90s country kitchen? Im not sure I can describe it properly. I bet there’s a name for it but I can’t seem to find one. I’m pretty sure we had some floppy eared stuffed bunnies that sat in a rocking chair in the living room wearing this fabric for dresses when I was a kid.

I am looking to put all these together into a project, but was wondering if anyone had ideas for a quilt pattern that would work well for these fabrics or maybe was popular during the same period? There are lots of small prints and plaid involved. I was hoping someone would remember how these fabrics were typically used.

thank you in advance!
Old 03-30-2024, 12:37 PM

At the time they were just fabric... I remember lots of stars with different colored petals/rays, Jewel Box, lots of things like 9-patches with HST settings so they went in diagonal rows, log cabins always a classic in all fabrics and times... Milky Way with the friendship sort of star can be a bit harder to work with multiple fabrics but also can be done.

Maybe spend some looking at the Bonnie Hunter free patterns page and see if anything jumps out at you!
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html
Old 03-30-2024, 07:24 PM

It reminds me of Holly Hobby girls and Precious Moments figures. In the 80's we put ruffles and lace on everything.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:06 AM

Oh yes, the ruffles. I can’t look at this blue fabric with little pink hearts and NOT immediately remember sofa pillows with 4” ruffles all around them. Anyone ever “ruffled” a quilt?
Old 03-31-2024, 08:09 AM

I started looking through these and found two different ones where similar fabrics were used, lol.

https://quiltville.com/pdf/myblueheaven.pdf

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012...block.html?m=1

I might go blue and white! I like the color scheme.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:56 PM

Not to mention the ubiquitous "peach and blue . . ." I remember a lot of bedding in those colors, especially. Of course, then the colors swung wildly to burgundy and hunter green, probably out of frustration.

One thing to think of is that there's no law that you have to use the fabrics together. I would go to FQS or MSQ and look at the fabrics lines out now. There are a lot of softer colors. You might get a clever idea to use the fabrics by combining with other things you have or adding some new.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 03-31-2024, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingPandaBear View Post
Oh yes, the ruffles. I can’t look at this blue fabric with little pink hearts and NOT immediately remember sofa pillows with 4” ruffles all around them. Anyone ever “ruffled” a quilt?
Evidently it has been done.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:32 AM

One big name from that era was Debbie Mun or Munn. She published quilting books that were 100% 90's country. Of course the books were published in 1990! The books were donated to me, not my style so I gave away but I bet googling that name would bring up ideas.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingPandaBear View Post
I primarily buy fabric in lots and have developed quite the collection of fabric that fit this particular aesthetic I can remember from maybe late 80s early 90s. It’s all dusty blues with hints of mauve and off white. Homespuns in this blue and cream, lots of mauve hearts/small flowers on this tone of blue, It’s kind of 90s country kitchen? Im not sure I can describe it properly. I bet there’s a name for it but I can’t seem to find one. I’m pretty sure we had some floppy eared stuffed bunnies that sat in a rocking chair in the living room wearing this fabric for dresses when I was a kid.
In my head I always called it the Little House on the Prairie look, because it was kind of Civil War style prints but in those dusty pastel colors. With that in mind, I think any traditional pattern would suit, like a log cabin or dresden plate.

Does anyone ever check libraries or used bookstores for quilting books? That's always been my go-to for patterns from decades past.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:52 AM

I looked at older quilting books and magazines on A Thrifty Notion, but seeing only the covers I didn’t find what I was looking for. I also checked my local resale store but no old quilt books/magazines.

I was thinking about dresden plates. Maybe fans or maybe full plates with rounded petals and heart centers, since that seemed to be a big part of the look. Still pondering options but enjoying all the ideas!