Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
farmer's wife quilt >

farmer's wife quilt

farmer's wife quilt

Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sheepla
I bought the book 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks and use it as a companion guide to the Farmer's Wife book. The rotary cut book tells you the measurements for various size blocks, including the 6" blocks for the farmer's wife sampler.
How wonderful!!! I have that book.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I googled and found some pics of completed quilts though didn't find any really good pics. A lot were very dark or very small!! Would love to see one IRL before I start on my own journey with this quilt.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 PM

I fall into the "nutcase" category as I bought The Farmer's Wife book and then proceeded to reproduce each block in EQ7 in order to get the rotary cutting directions and templates (for those blocks that require templates). The book I bought has the CD, but I had read that some folks were having trouble with the templates on the CD as some were not really true to size. I have used EQ7 a lot for this purpose and trust their directions. I haven't started making the blocks yet (it's next on my list), so we'll see what happens! I am really looking forward to this quilting project.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:18 AM

I am reading and watching this as I have the book and cd and thought about doing this as a project.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I am reading and watching this as I have the book and cd and thought about doing this as a project.
Be very careful of the cd patterns. I am no expert but I can sew decently and found some that, even with freezer paper,etc., didn't work well. There are ways to rotary cut them all with an occasional 'TWEEK' of the pattern piece.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 AM

I'm not sure what you mean about problems with the CD patterns. I printed all of them and I just finished block #111 using the templates. You have to take off the "scale" function when printing but there was only one or two errors in the templates; I think this is true of any pattern or book you buy. Just check for "corrections" on the author's site.
What are you using freezer paper for? Just curious if this makes piecing easier or not. Some of those blocks kicked my butt--6" block with 40+pieces!! Would freezer paper have made them easier? I glued my templates to cardboard and traced them onto fabric.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I'm not sure what you mean about problems with the CD patterns. I printed all of them and I just finished block #111 using the templates. You have to take off the "scale" function when printing but there was only one or two errors in the templates; I think this is true of any pattern or book you buy. Just check for "corrections" on the author's site.
What are you using freezer paper for? Just curious if this makes piecing easier or not. Some of those blocks kicked my butt--6" block with 40+pieces!! Would freezer paper have made them easier? I glued my templates to cardboard and traced them onto fabric.
I am using all the methods I know and learned from the Dear Jane quilt[still in progress}. Paper piecing, freezer paper,etc. Some times it helps and some times not. I received the rotary cutting inst. for 32 of the blocks, some "tweeked" a little to make them work. Esp. the 25 patch grid ones. Very tricky on 6" block. So far this is great improvement over the templates. Not a big fan of the T word.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toriabelle
.....Not a big fan of the T word.
^^^^^Joins ToriaBelle in the anti-T-word club!! :)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM

I am just starting the Farmers Wife Quilt. If you have the rotary cutting dimemsions I would love a copy of that. My e-mail is [email protected] Thank you for sharing. I have noticed how giving quilters are. Thanks Sue
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-253205.zip (55.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Here is an auction on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Farmers-Wife...item2314062a54