Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts? >

Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts?

Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM

I find 3-D Pinwheels extremely fast & really cute.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Maybe some of the 5 or 10 minute blocks by Susanne Mcneille..
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
Linda, I forgot about this web site someone shared: http://www.genxquilters.com/p/block-library.html Boat load of blocks there for you to try!
Wow, what a resource this site is! There are blocks from very easy to more complicated. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM

has anyone mentioned 4 patch? with a large patch between each one. that's my ole' go to patt for a quickie.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 PM

Wow! Lots of great sites. Thanks for sharing the links.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by lswan View Post
I make lap quilts to give chemo/cancer patients. I don't get many fabric donations, so I buy most of the fabric myself. I try to find garage sales, not too much luck. However what I need are some pattern ideas for quilts about 52 or so by 60 something (can be flexible) that are:
-don't use just big blocks of fabric sewn together
-don't use a million little small pieces
-are quick, easy, and look nice (time is of the essence when I get a name)

-I don't care if the patterns are free or not, I would buy them
After making the same pattern 10 times in a row, I get crazy. Thank you for reading this. If you can recommend something that would fit the bill, I would be grateful.
Linda

Linda I just finished a quick quilt, may be more work than you want to do, but the blocks go together really fast and it is definitely easy. My blocks were all 9" blocks when finished and they joined together perfectly with seams and points matching when sewn in the rows. This is NOT by design, and I think someone on the board posted this earlier in the year and called it quick and easy block, not sure, but it is easy. I started with a 4" square of one fabric this will be your center of the block, then cut another 4" square of a 2nd fabric. sewed these two pieces right sides together all the way around the square- leave no open edges. Then slightly pulling the 2nd piece of fabric up so as not to cut the 1st, snip in the center of this piece, and from there cut through in a diagonal method to each corner you are making an x when you cut, be sure not to cut through your stitching. Open this out and press with a Dry iron as they will be on the bias and stretch if you use a steam iron. Don't cut off the dog ears on any of the squares you sew- now you have a larger block, next take fabric # 3, and cut it the size of the square you just formed, laying it right sides together again and sew all around the 4 sides, cut it the same way you did the first one- open press , you now have a larger square, do the same with fabric # 4 making that piece the same size as the square you just made, sew around again and cut, open and press and walla you should have a 9" block. If you don't want this size block you can just use the two or three fabrics. NOTE if your beginning square is larger than 4" you will end up with a huge block if you use 4 different fabrics- ask me how I know lol. I made a sample using a 6" beginning square and ended up with about an 18" block. You could use the same 4 fabrics throughout or different fabrics and make it look really neat and scrappy. I only used the same 4 colors throughout as I had enough on hand that I wanted to use and it will be a Christmas gift. I will try and get a pic. posted later, if this doesn't make sense to you pm me and I will try and get a draft drawn to explain better. Thanks for your great work you do. Hugs Gerbie
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaNewt View Post
The double slice layer cake pattern on the Missouri Star Quilt co. site looks nice and its fast and easy. You could certainly cut your own squares to any size rather than buying the layer cakes.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/dou...uilt-tutorial/
I just made 2 of these from one layer cake for QFK. I love them and will do more, they are fun and fast. No reason why you couldn't make your own blocks from, say 8" squares, to change it up a bit. I also like doing the jelly roll strippy quilts. They are my go to for charity quilts, as every one looks different when finished. You can adjust the size by trimming some of the width and using that for a strip in the backing. I also like just doing a rail fence.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:55 AM

The disappearing nine patch is so neat! I can hardly wait to try it. Also have to run out and buy some Best Press. Seems like everyone really likes it.

I barely ever sign in but read the Digest daily and love it. Thanks eveyone for all your great ideas.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 AM

Gerbie's block is a nice one, but something was forgotten. Before you put your second block RST over the first, you take your ruler and cutter and make short cuts from corner to corner. Make three cuts the first way, each a little less an inch long. One will cross the center. Then put the ruler on the other corners and make 2 cuts. Be sure not to cut through the ends, nor through the center with the second cut. Your cuts will make a dotted X. After the two have been sewn together RST, you will be able to see where to snip to finish those cuts accurately. A small pointed scissors is needed to get into the corners, but as she said, Do Not cut into your sewing. I thin;k this is called a Pineapple Block. Hope you can make sense of this.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

* Boxed Boxes
* Square in a Square
* Oversized Blocks .... any block done on a larger than normal scale, so that one block is the quilt top, or perhaps four set together to make the quilt top
* Jumbo Log Cabin (same as above)
* a perfect time to just try out block patterns you have never done

The possibilities are totally endless ............

And if you run out of ideas, let Google be your friend and you'll have even more!