Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts? >

Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts?

Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts?

Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 AM

I just bought some templates from JoAnn's for triangles, friendship blocks, and twisted triangles all for about $7 each and am going through my scraps cutting them out for scrap quilts. This way I don't have a bunch of boring quilts either and using my scraps is better for my wallet too.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM

Default charity quilts

I have taught this quilt several times using the Exploding pineapple book by Karin Hellaby. there are great quick quilts. also teaching variation from her book Pineapple Plus book..
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Default •Fastest, easiest, most economical patterns for charity quilts

I have taught this quilt several times using the Exploding pineapple book by Karin Hellaby. there are great quick quilts. also teaching variation from her book Pineapple Plus book..
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 AM

In the guild I belong to we do a lot of strip quilts on the diagonal, you can then put them together in different ways or you can cut them in half and have a whole new design element.
Are there any quilt guilds near you? We get too many donations of fabric that we cannot use. We are not accepting any at this time because we don't have storage for it all. We had a yardage sale and made over $600 and sold the fabric for $1 a yard!! You might check with them to see if they are willing to pass the fabric along to you. Advertising on Craigs list for fabric donations for your cause is another way? Perhaps??
I think what you are doing is fabulous!!! :^)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Here's one I've made. Once you buy the kit and have the pattern, you can make more from the pattern. Goes together quickly. http://www.fabriccafe.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=800986

Here's a quilt I made from this pattern http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mosaic-fabric-latest-quilt-t184683.html. I made it a little larger... I made the smaller pieces a inch or two wider (can't remember exactly) than the pattern called for.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 AM

I recently just learned how to use the same block to make at minimum 4 different quilts and if you add all four of those locks as a sampler you then have 5 different quilts. It is called the 5 minute block which you can view the video here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxl3af3lzY.

I learned another techique using only two fabrics (one above uses 3 fabrics). In this one you just cut ANY sized square and lay one on top of the other with front touching each other and sew 1/4 inch all around the square. Then take your rotary cutter and ruler and cut diagonally once and than do it again on the other. It now gives you four sticthed pieces. When you open them up you can create a spinning wheel block and if you place one of the fabrics all same theme as center it creates another block.

Anyway both of these techniques will work up charity quilts fast. The first one with 3 fabrics gives you at least 4-5 different quilts to make.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Gerbie's block is a nice one, but something was forgotten. Before you put your second block RST over the first, you take your ruler and cutter and make short cuts from corner to corner. Make three cuts the first way, each a little less an inch long. One will cross the center. Then put the ruler on the other corners and make 2 cuts. Be sure not to cut through the ends, nor through the center with the second cut. Your cuts will make a dotted X. After the two have been sewn together RST, you will be able to see where to snip to finish those cuts accurately. A small pointed scissors is needed to get into the corners, but as she said, Do Not cut into your sewing. I thin;k this is called a Pineapple Block. Hope you can make sense of this.
I was not told about this when I read the tute I took this block from. Perhaps that person didn't do it either. But thanks I will check this method out on the next block like this I do. I think I understand what you are saying, but not really clear on the cutting from corner to corner. Will have to see if I can decipher this when I start to cut the fab..
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by breezyquilts View Post
In the guild I belong to we do a lot of strip quilts on the diagonal, you can then put them together in different ways or you can cut them in half and have a whole new design element.
Are there any quilt guilds near you? We get too many donations of fabric that we cannot use. We are not accepting any at this time because we don't have storage for it all. We had a yardage sale and made over $600 and sold the fabric for $1 a yard!! You might check with them to see if they are willing to pass the fabric along to you. Advertising on Craigs list for fabric donations for your cause is another way? Perhaps??
I think what you are doing is fabulous!!! :^)
Martha,
I guess Buffalo, NY is a different animal. I do search on Craig's list for fabric and have had just one hit and it turned out to be overpriced scraps! My guild does small quilts that it donates to hospitals, but these quilts I make are for specific people that are referred to me. I provide the quilt, bag, book and a card especially for them. Some of you wonderful people have offered me fabric for shipping cost and the overwhelming flood of pattern ideas are stunning. You know, you could search single handed and not know how someone works out, but when people offer what has worked for them, it is extra special and workable. Thanks!
Linda, with gratitude
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
Someone had a 'Take Two" quilt on here once and I think the pattern is on kickassquilts.com
I looked it up and printed it and have made 3 of them so far. I, also, do not have much time to make quilts as I work full time out of the home and I do long arm quilting for customers. So I tend to do the quick quilts but yet don't just want simple squares, as you also said. The "Take Two" quilt is very cut and only requires 2 fabrics. (That also means that if you buy fabrics at Joann's with a coupon--it may be a little cheaper as you need larger quantities of fabric since there are only 2 fabrics per quilt). Good luck.
I just printed that one out for my files. It looks easy and quick. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 AM

I have done lots and lots of charity quilts using the Take Two quilt pattern. You can also cut the blocks 6 x 10 of focus fabric and 2 1/2 x 10 of contrast fabric and assemble the same way as the original Take Two pattern. I can do one from start to finish in about 4 hours.