Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters? >

fat quarters?

fat quarters?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 AM

I like the fact that I can grab x amount of fat quarters and throw a quilt together quickly. Like this one 6 fat quarters cut into a dnp and wala. Quilt made in an afternoon. I went thru a phase where I didn't think I would buy anymore fat quarters, kinda thought I might as well buy a yard, but they are great to have on hand for sure!
Ok will have to post it later, or I will be late for work! :shock:
Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 AM

I like them because my cutting area is small and it's a pain to lay out yardage! FQs are easily manageable in a small space and don't require a whole lot of shifting/trimming/folding/cussing. I am also drawn to "organized scrappy" quilts, and FQs are an easy way to get lots and lots of variety without a lot of slop or waiting at the cutting table.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 AM

A fat quarter is half of a half yard. There is a book called 5-10-15+ Fat Quarters that you might be interested in. It's not all quilts, but it does have some fun projects.

http://www.amazon.com/5-10-15-Fat-Qu.../dp/1592172997
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 AM

I posted a pic in another thread about fat quarters. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108269-1.htm I used 35 fabrics 30 of them were fat quarters. It is the purple quilt on page 4
Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 AM

I think it is a good way to get a large variety of fabrics when you don't know what you are going to make. It is also good for applique when you only need a little of a certain color. There are tons of patterns out there.
Sue
Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Besides Turning Twenty, they work really well for a Ten Minute block. I just finished seven of them for a Row Robin- look in our Friends Know No Borders pictures for the blue and white rows if you desire...
how do you use them for a 10 min block?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM

I think of Fat Quarters as a Sample of a new fabric, or a design style, which I might like to use, especially those colors that take me OUT of my comfort zone. For a long time I had a revulsion for TOO BRIGHT fabrics, but I bought a few remnants (cheap) or a fat quarter, brought them home, and grew comfortable with them near me, using them with my muted colors and pastels.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
Love fat quarters. I'm able to get a wider variety of fabrics this way. I've used them for table runners and for quilts. Turning 20 has already been mentioned - I do Turning 12 which uses 12 fat quarters. Cheaper by the Dozen uses 12. Yellow Brick Road uses fat quarters - 6 for a crib size and 12 for a lap size. I have a table runner pattern that uses 3 of them. Several patterns for crib size quilts use 6 - 7 of them.

When you cut a yard into 1/4 yd segments you usually get 4 thin strips of fabric - 9 inches X 42 inches. A Fat Quarter is made by cutting the yard horizontally and vertically so you get 18" X 21" or so.

At quilt shop prices fat quarters make for an expensive yard of fabric - around here they run $2.75 - $3. At the Houston quilt show I found tubs and tubs of them for $1 each. Our quilt shop has a basket in the back where they are 99 cents. Joann's has them for $1.89, but they fold them with a cardboard stiffener which makes me think they are thinner fabric - I haven't bought any so don't really know.

Pattern: Yellow Brick Road - 12 batik fat quarters
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-132228-1.htm

table runner - 3 fq's
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-131033-1.htm

Turning 12 - 12 fq's from a red/white bundle clotilde.com
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125053-1.htm

Cheaper By the Dozen - from a kit made up of fq's
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92398-1.htm

You simply can't get the shapes/sizes from a regular 1/4 yard and ... variety!
wow these are so pretty! thanks for the insperation!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Easier to fussy cut from.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM

I use them in everything. Unless you are doing a quilt with very few fabrics & colors, then fqs are great! I love quilts with lots of different fabrics & colors in them, so they work great for me. I am doing more applique now, & they are great for that too. Yes, there are fq patterns, but don't limit yourself to just them. Fqs also give you alot more variety to choose from in your stash, & they don't stay around forever, like a whole bolt would, or even yards of any one piece. They are great when you don't have alot of room either... So, try some & see, you might get hooked on them!...