Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fathers Day Quilts >

Fathers Day Quilts

Fathers Day Quilts

Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM

My daughter asked me to make a "Crown Royal" blanket for her father-in-law's 70th birthday in January. He enjoys a drink of this. My daughter bought some purple Crown Royal bags off eBay (about 20 of them). They come in 3 sizes. A quickie is to buy 1-1/2 yards of gold fleece and 1-1/2 yds of royal purple fleece. I cut the embroidered Crown Royal wording from the bags and stitched them inbetween the two layers with a border of them around the perimeter and more in an oval in the center with a big one in the middle and cut out for a peek-a-boo for each one. The gold fleece is on top. I finished the edge with black fleece 2-1/2" border. He loved his "manly" blanket and it is very warm during our cold Michigan winters.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
My DH and I have a great way to celebrate Mothers day and Fathers day. It started several years ago when he gave me a weed whacker for Mothers day. I thought I could get mad... or get even so for Fathers day, he got an expensive quilting book. We laughed so hard that we do this every year. Last year I got a pipe wrench....(I'd been needing one of those) and he got a bracelet. This year, I got a two step step lader so that when I wash the truck, I can reach the top. (I never wash a vehicle, he does). He will get an embroidery CD from Dacota Collectables with muscle cars from the 60's and 70's on it. It takes all the stress off and we can just enjoy the day.
I love this idea!!! One year I got a new compressor for Mother's Day. Of course, I keep it in the garage where it's easy for my DH to use whenever he needs it. ROFLOL
Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 PM

my dh gave me a fire pit for mother's day, so i thought i would give him a couple of chairs and extendable marshmallow sticks--yum!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Make him an ond fashion Situpon. Makea square block 18x18 sew a 3"saching between the layes fill it with scraps. He can take it anywhere and sit in it. If he is a fisherman, hunter use waterproof fabric on one side.

You can put a zipper on one side to fill with things. put a quilt inside for a shoulder cover up and always put his special treat in it and a love note.

Add a handel or shoulder strap. He will love it.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Our take on either parent's day is, "you are not my Mother/Father". LOL
Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 PM

My DH and I have a great way to celebrate Mothers day and Fathers day. It started several years ago when he gave me a weed whacker for Mothers day. I thought I could get mad... or get even so for Fathers day, he got an expensive quilting book. We laughed so hard that we do this every year. Last year I got a pipe wrench....(I'd been needing one of those) and he got a bracelet. This year, I got a two step step lader so that when I wash the truck, I can reach the top. (I never wash a vehicle, he does). He will get an embroidery CD from Dacota Collectables with muscle cars from the 60's and 70's on it. It takes all the stress off and we can just enjoy the day.
LOL. I read this to my husband. Great idea...we just might have to 'borrow' that!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 PM

back to father's day quilts for a minute, i started a quilt for my dh in his favorite color, blue. i asked him how he liked it, but he had no clue it was for him. when he said it was ok, i could just hear his thought " for someone else". so the man i've been living with for 35 yrs and 3 children, hundreds of pets, etc, i evidently don't know at all! i find that very annoying. he'll be lucky if i ever get him anything.
apparently, we're strangers.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Love your Mothers/Fathers Day gifts, Mary....you both get what you really want!!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM

My husband loves dogs, so I am making a throw for him with squares of dog prints on it and dog paws on the other squares. The backing will just be plain solid color.