Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite quilting thread

favorite quilting thread

I was curious what is your favorite machine quilting thread? I am having problems with my thread fraying. It is driving me crazy!! Admittingly I didn't have that far to go but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use Aurufil 50 wt. It's about $12 per spool but the spools have a lot of thread on them and they last forever.

My favorite thread for my APQS long arm machine is Connecting Threads Polyestor Thread-- but now they are clearancing it out so I assume they won't be carrying it anymore. Connecting Threads Cotton thread is my next favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by tricia h View Post
    I use Aurufil 50 wt. It's about $12 per spool but the spools have a lot of thread on them and they last forever.
    My favorite too!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by tricia h View Post
    Wow! It's $8.99 here. That's a big difference. I ordered some from connecting threads but haven't tried it yet. My order hasn't arrived yet.

I don't have a long arm but on my DSM I have been using King Tut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aborning View Post
    My favorite thread for my APQS long arm machine is Connecting Threads Polyestor Thread-- but now they are clearancing it out so I assume they won't be carrying it anymore. Connecting Threads Cotton thread is my next favorite.
    They appear NOT to be clearancing it out. For awhile the website had "last chance" on every spool of the poly and a quilter even called their customer service dept to ask if they were closing it out. Customer service said yes. But now the website is like it was. I think the customer service rep didn't actually know and simply relied on what the web page said!

My favorite quilting thread for my domestic machine is Aurifil 50wt 2-ply (which is also my favorite for piecing). For my midarm frame, my favorite so far is Glide which is a 40wt trilobal polyester thread. I tried Connecting Threads poly in my midarm but it seems to be a little too thin for my machine (it is 70wt), as even with adjustments I had occasional shredding and occasional breakage with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mamajack3 View Post
    I was curious what is your favorite machine quilting thread? I am having problems with my thread fraying. It is driving me crazy!! Admittingly I didn't have that far to go but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    When did you last change your needle? Is it the right size needle for the thread you're using? Most fraying/breaking thread problems are actually needle issues.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Piecing or quilting? Domestic machine or mid/long arm?

First question that came to my mind when you said the thread was fraying was "what size needle are you using in relationship to the type of thread you're using?"

Nan - IN
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Blog Entries
    I also use auriful 50wt.

I use Isocord thread for $5.89 for 1000 meters. I get it from sewforless.com
    http://www.sewforless.com/category/1...ord_Thread/c88. Isocord is also the thread Leah Day uses!

Blog Entries
    I like Aurifil 50 wt. I have some connecting threads since it's inexpensive to get a lot of colors, but I've had some problem with it shredding.

Blog Entries
    I pay $30 for a 6,452 yard cone of 50wt Aurifil online. Aurifil makes a 80 wt bobbin thread on a big cone. Now that will last forever. I use that in my bobbin when machine quilting. I like Isocord for fmq and Glide. A favorite is Superior Silk thread for machine quilting.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Is the needle correct size for thread. It sounds as if the thread is too thick and not all going through the needles eye.
    Change needle with a larger eye.
    I use any thread no problem when I match the 2.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Is the needle correct size for thread. It sounds as if the thread is too thick and not all going through the needles eye.
    Change needle with a larger eye.
    I use any thread no problem when I match the 2.
    Good point. After I had all the problems with the CT thread shredding, I switched from size 12 to size 14 needles for both piecing and quilting. The one spool I had that was bad still shredded but so far no others have.

Blog Entries
    I use the machine quilting polyester from connecting threads with pretty good results and also like Aurafil; if you are having fraying/breakage problems it could be from an incorrect needle, or...cotton thread breaks easily in a 'high-speed' machine, like long=arms which stitch really fast.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I use Aurifil for piecing and CT poly for my mid-arm. Just wish that CT would get the poly in varigated colors.

Blog Entries
    Just wondering why you would use Polyester over cotton thread? I use cotton to piece and FMQ with no problems. Just wondering what the difference would be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I use the machine quilting polyester from connecting threads with pretty good results and also like Aurafil; if you are having fraying/breakage problems it could be from an incorrect needle, or...cotton thread breaks easily in a 'high-speed' machine, like long=arms which stitch really fast.
    Longarmers can use 100% cotton thread on their machines....but it has to be a thread meant for use on longarm machines. There are many types of threads available for use on different machines and for different purposes.

For a thread to stitch properly, a quilter (or any sewer) needs four things:
    1. the right thread for the fabric and machine
    2. the right needle for the thread and fabric
    3. the right set up on the machine (tension, stitch length)
    4. the machine needs to work properly.

Nan IN
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Blog Entries
    I love Aurifil too!!!! Its great for piecing and quilting and was recommended by the Viking Rep. I've never had any problems with it. I also love Inspira needles, the eyes have a flat side that allows the thread to glide over instead of an oval like most do. No breaking or fraying of thread with that combiniation
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    Just wondering why you would use Polyester over cotton thread? I use cotton to piece and FMQ with no problems. Just wondering what the difference would be.
    I use Glide poly in my midarm because (1) it is much less linty than any of the cotton threads I have used, including King Tut; (2) it is a softer thread and I like to do close quilting, so the quilt comes out softer; (3) it has a little bit of shine to it, which adds just a touch of sparkle to the quilt; (4) it never shreds or breaks on me.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    Connecting Threads 100% cotton thread. Love it!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Blog Entries
    On my DSM, I use Superior's Sew Fine #50.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My problem wasn't with my thread, my needle and tension were wrong. I use Coats and Clark 35 wt.

Blog Entries
    Okay, here I am showing my ignorance. I didn't know you should match thread and needle and I use Coats and CLark al purpose thread. What SHOULD I be doing? Why use polyester thread with cotton material? How do you match the thread and needle to know what size needle goes with what wt. thread? I just use an 11 needle usually and use it until it breaks, which is often enough that I don't fear the needle being dull. The thread, however, I don't even pay attn to the weight. Someone school me please! Also, I have never heard of Auriful thread. I only have JoAnns as my option for buying things around here, do they sell it there? I haven't seen it but then again, I didn't know to look. OMG This board is so informative, what would I do without all of you? This is what I get for trying to teach myself quilting, LOL
    Empress Mona (teeheehee)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast