Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Scissors?

Favorite Scissors?

I'm looking for a scissors to gift a friend of mine who had hers ruined when she had someone try to sharpen it. She has very arthritic hands, so I'm thinking she would want roomy, soft handles and also light weight and sharp. Anyone know of one that fits that description?

Spring loaded is where it's at, for real, especially when your talking about someone w/ arthritis. I tried some over 20 years ago and have never gone back. I use fiskars but other brands have them too.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Gingers lightweight are nice
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Power Poster
    It depends on what she is going to use them for. If appliqué, the serrated blades work well fir cutting intricate shapes and duck bill scissors for close trimming. For general cutting, I just buy a big package of several scissors that are not expensive. I use them until they get dull and then buy more.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Kassaundra, spring loaded are great for anyone, but especially if the person has arthritis. I also have a pair of Fiskars that I bought probably 20 years ago,have had sharpened 2-3 times and they still are my go-to large scissors. I also must have springloaded snips at the machine for those quick cuts--I prefer the cheap ones that cost about $3 each.

Blog Entries
    I have a couple pair of Karen Buckley scissors in different sizes and love them...but like Tartan says...it depends on the project.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I love my Gingher scissors. I also really love Karen Kay Buckley scissors. I have 3 sizes and love the soft handles. I gifted my friend (she has arthritis) a pair and she loves them. I like how they sort of grab the fabric.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Thank you ladies!! She generally makes bed sized quilts, but also placemats and aprons. No appliqué. I have Fiskars that I love and have had forever, but wasn't sure about the handles. So, the spring loaded ones would be the way to go then? She cranks out quilts like nobody's business, all on the cheapest machine her kids could find from Walmart. (Most of her sewing is done for her kids and grandkids...graduation/wedding/anniversary gifts) It costs $40/cleaning because they have to take it completely apart just to get to the area that accumulates lint! (She's on a very limited income) Right now she has to literally pull the fabric through the machine as the feed dogs are bogged down with lint! All with her very arthritic hands. Grrr...does it show that I'm upset? I'm going to have my handy DH nab her machine and see if he can get it cleaned out for her. Ok, done venting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I agree with Kassaundra, spring loaded are great for anyone, but especially if the person has arthritis. I also have a pair of Fiskars that I bought probably 20 years ago,have had sharpened 2-3 times and they still are my go-to large scissors. I also must have springloaded snips at the machine for those quick cuts--I prefer the cheap ones that cost about $3 each.
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and believe me the spring loaded scissors are the greatest. I use my Friskars all the time.

Goodness, an old Singer or Kenmore found at a thrift shop would be better then the machine she is using. I see them here at yard sales and thrift shops for $40 or under. Easy to clean, no shop needed. I like all brands of scissors. The spring loaded ones are nice.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Love my Ginghers but found they were heavy and caused wrist pain. Doc recommended I try lighter scissors so I bought the Fiskars with rubber handles---much lighter and lots cheaper plus they stay sharp. Bought at big box store.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Goodness, an old Singer or Kenmore found at a thrift shop would be better then the machine she is using. I see them here at yard sales and thrift shops for $40 or under. Easy to clean, no shop needed.
    Agreed and the old JC Penney machines were really good workhorses as well!

Recycler, you should check your local Craig's list, thrift stores, Salvation Army store, etc to see if you can find her one for the cost of a single cleaning. Shouldn't be too hard. Like OBO, I see them advertised all the time around here.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and love my spring loaded scissors. Much easier on my hands.

Blog Entries
    There is a local saw sharpening shop that sells Ergonomics 35 % . They seem to stay sharp.

Good suggestions to check out used machines, but this gal (85 years old) has a mind of her own! I have loaned her my old machine in the past, which is good as new and a workhorse (Necchi purchased in the early 70's) I only replaced it because i felt I should check out a new modern one before I get too old to learn a new one! It is still available and I offered to bring it up. Also, a friend of hers gave her her old one in a cabinet, which is sitting 5 yards from the one she uses, and she doesn't want to use it either. So, in this case, I think my only option is to get DH up there.
    As for the scissors, after reading all of your comments, I've decided that a Gingher would be the way to go. That was what her last one was, which she loved, so it should feel the same. She is such a dear friend and has worked so hard all her life and still does, that I just hate seeing her struggle needlessly! Thanks all of you for helping me work through this!

I just hate seeing her struggle needlessly!
    But she chooses to. Some people you just can't help as much as you want to. It's frustrating. Too much for me. I have had to distance myself from a couple of people like this. Always in dire straits and think that is where they belong. You are a good friend.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I just use regular Fiskars scissors.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The only scissors I can use more than a few minutes are my spring loaded Fiskars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I second Gingher's. I've had my shears for 20+ years and have 2 pairs of the snips plus a couple pair of specialty scissors. They cut thru fabric like it was butter. I've never had to have mine sharpened.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by recycler View Post
    I've decided that a Gingher would be the way to go. That was what her last one was, which she loved, so it should feel the same. She is such a dear friend and has worked so hard all her life and still does, that I just hate seeing her struggle needlessly! Thanks all of you for helping me work through this!
    If her old ones were Gingher's, getting her another pair of those might be best. I have some Fiskar's that I use occasionally, but after my Gingher's I can never get used to them and they seem to not cut thru the fabric as easily.

You're very sweet for wanting to make things easier for your friend, but some people are very hard to help. Sometimes you just have to let them do things their way.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Sometimes it's just too much bother for someone to adjust to something new. And she is of the generation that doesn't borrow tools--because if she broke yours, she'd be on the hook to fix it. That's a big burden on a limited income, and a terrible feeling to know you've damaged someone else's property. I wouldn't borrow a sewing machine for that reason.

You are a good friend for looking after her needs. I'm sure she'll love the new lightweight Gingher's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Gingher, yes! I have a pair with black plastic handles. Never thought I'd like them, but oh my! They are lightweight and cut fabric like it's butter. No one else is allowed to touch them!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Karen Kay Buckley have roomy handles, thin blades. I personally like Clover Bordeaux scissors. They cut like butter. They are expensive, but worth every penny.

I also would also suggest the Fiskars springloaded scissors. They are the best ones if you have any hand problems.

I hadn't heard of the Clover Bordeaux scissors...will check them out! I've used Fiskars, which I've been happy with, since I started quilting and all this has gotten me to thinking I should try something different once!
    Update...we went and nabbed my friends sewing machine and it was a simple matter of getting into the bobbin area and clearing out a wad of lint. It was totally stopping the feed dogs from moving. She is back in business! She is so grateful for any help given her and we are more than happy to do it. We never know when our circumstances may change! Thanks again for all input!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast