Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
505 spray staining fabric >

505 spray staining fabric

505 spray staining fabric

Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM

Default 505 spray staining fabric

I used 505 spray when sandwiching a table runner and it left a stain on the red fabric that i was using as my backing. Has anyone had this happen and if so, any ideas on how to remove the stain?

This was the first time I used 505, I have used June Tailor spray adhesive on placemats and had no problems with it. I washed the table runner and it did not come out.

Any ideas? TIA
Dee
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Oh no...I've never had that happen to me using 505. However, I recently used a red solid in a quilt and it stained after spraying with Best Press. It was the only fabric in the entire quilt that stained. It washed out, thank goodness but just thinking maybe its fabric related and not product related... I'll watch for others responses, too, cuz I use 505 a lot. Ultimately, I used a mildly soapy washcloth to remove stains, Sprite with water, and repressed.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-13-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-13-2018, 04:36 PM

I wanted to add that I am making a couple of table runners with the same fabric. it only stained on one of them. I treated the fabric the same for all of the table runners.
Dee
Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 PM

I used 505 spray often and have never had it stain. I'm wondering if it's fabric/dye related also.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:09 AM

505 spray is the only way I sandwich my quilts and I have never had a problem .
Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 AM

Yikes...sorry for your stain but luckily I have never had a problem with 505. I gotta think that it might have something to do with the red fabric.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 AM

I also use 505 when making small items such as table runners on my domestic machine.....never had it stain anything. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 AM

I only use 505 and have not experienced this. I'm wondering the same as what cashs_mom and jmoore put forth - that it might have something to do with the fabric/dye.

That said, it still leaves you with a stain. I'm hoping you didn't dry the table runner. I always feel that *most* stains can eventually be worked out as long as a dryer has not been involved. Unless the fabric has possibly been what seems like bleached in that area? In which case I'm wondering if you can take a small scrap of the red that hasn't been washed/treated, wet it, wet the red on the table runner, and let it sit together, hoping the dye transfers? No idea on that, might be a really obvious reason that won't work (but it would probably be something I'd try!).

Otherwise, when that happens to me, I keep using different treatments and washing to work on a stain. Most times something ends up working. Occasionally I have to settle for close enough to good. Rarely do I not have any progress. Different treatments might be anything from various stain removers, natural cleaners like baking soda/vinegar (depends on fabric), might try something like Oxyclean. If I use stain remover, I usually spray, work into the stain, but then I put the fabric into a sink of water (because I have found stain removers can stain otherwise). I have soaked, washed, retreated, soaked, etc for several cycles/days before.

Hoping you find a solution that works for you...
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Was the 505 old? Had it been stored someplace very hot or very cold? Was it shaken thoroughly first?
Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 AM

The 505 spray was not old, I just purchased it. ( I do not know how long it was in the store, but it is a very busy store) I would have to say it was well shaken, I think I would have shaken it the same each time I sprayed it.

I don't understand why it would be a dye issue. I used the same material for other runners (I had 10 meters of the same material). The stain is not similar to a bleach stain. The stain looks like a large wet mark.

Now that I have thought about it, I wonder did I spray it too close to the fabric? Did I spray too much in one spot? With those "operator errors" taken into account, could that have caused it? (I can probably test that myself) shouldn't it still have dried, or at least washed out?

I think the bigger lesson I learned from this - is to spray the batting, not the fabric. Is that the correct way?
Dee