Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need some advice table toppers batting

Blog Entries

Need some advice table toppers batting

If I am making table toppers to use as a hot pad also would it be enough to just use Insul brite or do I need a cotton batting also. Thank you dear quilters you are always ready and willing to help us not so smart sewers. Sharon
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Power Poster
    I like to sandwich the insul brite between 2 layers of batt if I want to use as a hot pad. I make my binding a little wider to accommodate the extra thickness. If however I am putting something extremely hot on my good wood table.....I sewed a pretty sleeve for.....wait for it.....a phone book.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Tartan for your quick reply. A friend has asked me to help her begin to learn how to piece and sew and she wants to start with pot holders and a pad for her table. I guess I have a second question. Do you quilt through all 6 layers? I always read your responses because I glean so much knowledge from them. Thank you.

Sharon

Power Poster
    On hot pads, I tend to keep the quilting to a minimum because I figure the heat has a better chance of going through the stitching holes. You do have to do some quilting though or they will not lay flat after washing.

I'm with Tartan. When I make table runners, I use regular batting and muslin and quilt. Then I use a single layer of insulbrite and a cut backing fabric. I finish off by binding the usual way. The back fabric isn't quilted at all but table runners are narrow so it has never been a problem.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    also, putting binding on hot pads may be a challenge--the edges are so small that getting the ends to join on a 8-10" space is sometimes a challenge! (or maybe it's me--LOL)

With hot pads, I use just insul-brite and no batting. Makes them more flexible. I cut the backs a few inches bigger than the tops, quilt, iron a seam allowance, fold the backing over to the front, and stitch by machine. No need to bind.

I only use Insulbright in hot pads and casserole pads. Insulbright keeps it’s shape well when laundered. I don’t use binding I just cut the fabric a little larger, layer it as follows - Insulbright, first fabric facing up, second fabric facing down. Next I stitch around the outside leaving an opening, then turn the hot pad or casserole pad. Then press making sure the fabric at opening folds inside. Stitch it closed, then stitch around the outside about a 1/2 inch fron the edge. I sell hot pads etc at craft shows, have wholesale customers and have sold 100’s of items made this way with dozens of repeat customers.

Neat idea for the phone book! It would be a lot quicker to dry the "cover" for that and easier in the creation, too. Make it pretty much like a pillow sham or open on one end to slide the book in. A nice size, too. Thanks for the idea!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Brandonsnana, I was wondering about this and have had no one just use the insulbright. Will make some. I don't particularly like working with so much batting in the middle. Thank you for your input. Grammasharon

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonsnana View Post
    I only use Insulbright in hot pads and casserole pads. Insulbright keeps it’s shape well when laundered. I don’t use binding I just cut the fabric a little larger, layer it as follows - Insulbright, first fabric facing up, second fabric facing down. Next I stitch around the outside leaving an opening, then turn the hot pad or casserole pad. Then press making sure the fabric at opening folds inside. Stitch it closed, then stitch around the outside about a 1/2 inch fron the edge. I sell hot pads etc at craft shows, have wholesale customers and have sold 100’s of items made this way with dozens of repeat customers.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I like to sandwich the insul brite between 2 layers of batt if I want to use as a hot pad. I make my binding a little wider to accommodate the extra thickness. If however I am putting something extremely hot on my good wood table.....I sewed a pretty sleeve for.....wait for it.....a phone book.
    What a brilliant idea! Now I wish I had all those phone books I tossed.

Very interesting thread. Thank you, toverly, for your comment. I learned a new idea that I will use one day soon. Your approach is a new idea to me. I also like Tartan's comments. We like to make pretty table accessories and we like safety as well as we use our items for hot dishes served on our lovely table.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Good Deal! Thanks....that would look better than the current phone book I use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    What a brilliant idea! Now I wish I had all those phone books I tossed.
    Keep (at least some of) your phone book for paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    Both, I love my tablecloth. Its two sided, one for fall/Thanksgiving the other side is Christmas. I made sure it was made to handle the hot pots during the holidays.
    Judy