Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
505 spray staining fabric >

505 spray staining fabric

505 spray staining fabric

Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnewf View Post
The 505 spray was not old, I just purchased it. ( I do not know how long it was in the store, but it is a very busy store) I would have to say it was well shaken, I think I would have shaken it the same each time I sprayed it.

I don't understand why it would be a dye issue. I used the same material for other runners (I had 10 meters of the same material). The stain is not similar to a bleach stain. The stain looks like a large wet mark.

Now that I have thought about it, I wonder did I spray it too close to the fabric? Did I spray too much in one spot? With those "operator errors" taken into account, could that have caused it? (I can probably test that myself) shouldn't it still have dried, or at least washed out?

I think the bigger lesson I learned from this - is to spray the batting, not the fabric. Is that the correct way?
Dee
I believe tutorials I have seen on using 505 indicate to spray the batting. That is what I always do. I think I have seen someone online sprayed the back of the fabric once, a light spray a good 12 inches from the quilt. But everything else I've seen says spray batting not the fabric. Perhaps you have hit upon the reason.

You've got me wondering now, as absentmindedly on my last quilt, I turned the can the wrong way and sprayed the fabric in one spot (and immediately saw a wet spot - I don't know where my mind was at). I thought, uh oh, but continued on spraying the batting, and then forgot about checking that area. Now I'm wondering if I have a spot on that quilt! It is a quilt for my grandson that I am taking with us when we visit this week for Thanksgiving. Probably better I don't search the quilt at this point as if there is a spot, I haven't noticed.