Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite source for Watercolor quilts? >

Favorite source for Watercolor quilts?

Favorite source for Watercolor quilts?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:45 PM

I guess I'm really slow in my head I just don't understand the water quilting concept at all, from what I've seen here you buy a premade kit with a grid that you iron the fabric squares to to make the quilt? What is the difference between that & just sewing the pieces together? I really want to understand this, can anyone help me with other than what I'm thinking it is? Thanks in advance to anyone with the patience to help me understand all this.
Jeri
Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 PM

We have a local company that specializes in watercolor quilts. You can find them at www.whims.com
grab a tissue before you go to that site. (To wipe up the drool! Lol!)
Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I guess I'm really slow in my head I just don't understand the water quilting concept at all, from what I've seen here you buy a premade kit with a grid that you iron the fabric squares to to make the quilt? What is the difference between that & just sewing the pieces together? I really want to understand this, can anyone help me with other than what I'm thinking it is? Thanks in advance to anyone with the patience to help me understand all this.
Jeri
Hi Jeri,

You first iron all the small (1 1/2" usually) patches onto the grided interfacing. THEN you fold on the line, right sides facing, and sew on the lines. Supposedly, using the interfacing makes for more accurate seams. I never liked this product, nor found it that accurate. Using the grid is not an alternative to sewing them. Hope this is clear???
Old 10-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Jeri
Hi Jeri -
I would say it is much less about sewing technique and all about color choice and blending. I didn't do my wreath quilt from a kit -- I did have a pattern, but I chose and blended all of the fabrics & colors so they 'flowed' and 'popped' in certain areas. I am far from a master, but I thoroughly enjoy picking all the fabrics and determining placement with even some fussy cutting on certain pieces.
That wreath pattern was done with strips -
Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
We have a local company that specializes in watercolor quilts. You can find them at www.whims.com
grab a tissue before you go to that site. (To wipe up the drool! Lol!)
Wow, the Whims site is a lot of fun -- thanks for telling me about it!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
Now I'm thinking I need a definition of watercolor quilts too. I had thought they were pictures made from tiny squares similar to paint by number designs, but now I'm realize that I may not know.

What is the difference between watercolor quilts, pixel quilts, and postage stamp quilts?
I'm no expert here, but to my way of thinking postage stamp quilts are scrappy with random placement of very small squares (2" or less), with no overall pattern. Pixel quilts have squares very precisely placed so that the overall quilt from a distance is a picture, much like you see on a computer screen. Watercolor quilts are somewhere in between. As you can see on the picture in this link, the little fabric squares are fussy cut and then sewn together precisely to make an image, but the resulting flowers in the fabric flow kind of freely and artistically:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/433190057880720910/
Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!

Back when I thought I'd never be able to sew a straight line I was angsting to a friend who worked at fabric depot about how much I wanted to be able to quilt and she mentioned that I might like watercolor quilts and showed me some picture and it never occurred to me to ask more questions about the process.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Hi Jeri,

You first iron all the small (1 1/2" usually) patches onto the grided interfacing. THEN you fold on the line, right sides facing, and sew on the lines. Supposedly, using the interfacing makes for more accurate seams. I never liked this product, nor found it that accurate. Using the grid is not an alternative to sewing them. Hope this is clear???
Thanks Anita that made it clear enough to know I wont be doing that anytime in the near or distant future
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks Anita that made it clear enough to know I wont be doing that anytime in the near or distant future
I did try to use it for a project, but between things not staying stuck, and the black ' shmutz' all over my brand new quilting machine, for get it.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 AM

http://www.patchworksthatpraise.com/help.asp

The quilter on this website shows how she creates her watercolor quilts. It may give you some ideas?