Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favourite book falling apart

I've taken several of my quilt books to Office Depot for binding. This allows the book to lay flat, much easier to
    follow the piecing directions than a book that keeps wanting to close.

I always take all my books and have them spiral bound I use a lot. It is much easier to have the pages open and able to flip pages instead of trying to keep a book open. I was taught this in my first quilting class and have been doing it ever since. At first when you see the spline cut its hard, but it works great and you never loose a thing

Blog Entries
    I love my spiral bound books, but I would love to come up with something that makes it easier to find a book on the shelf. So many spirals, no names anymore!

I do that for many of my quilt books so that they lay flat and I can copy a page to mark. Only pay about $2.50 at a neighborhood copy store for about 200 pages, which includes front and back plastic covers. $10 is high.
    SandyQuilter

binding book

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    I have a favourite Quilting "go to " book, but due to over use, it started falling apart. I was devastated.
    Then the light bulb went off.
    I took it to my local "Staples" office supply store and asked if they could rebind it. They could!! They could rebind it with a spiral binding and it cost less than $10.
    I should have done it ages ago. Now it stays open when I'm using it!
    Next time I get a new book that isn't already spiral bound, I may just take it in and have it done right away.
    This is an option I was going to suggest. I've done this with cook books. Makes them so much easier to use and no hole drilling for binders, etc.

Lightbulb Are there any downsides to this concept ???

I had NO IDEA...this could be done..............this is a marvelouse idea and suggestion....all those books that you push to lay flat and they never do.....I have staples, office depot and office max very close am going to make some phone calls......has anybody had any bad experiences with doing this ???? Like loosing print copy from the pages would be my biggest concern......

When I bought my Farmers Wife Sample book, I decided to have it spiral bounded right away for continued use, with 110 blocks (last summer), I figure the book wouldn't make it. It was the best thing ever. Now I am going to do the Rosie sample quilt with the QB group in Sept, and looking at it "again" last night, I decided I would also spiral bind it too. Less then $6.00 and took about 30 minutes to have done at a local printing shop. Wished the authors would think about this when they have it published, cause it would be a lot more handy for us quilters.

Years ago, as I worked on some college publishing projects, I had a favorite "chocolate" cookbook that was falling apart (the one with the no-bake chocolate oatmeal drops), and I mentioned it to the dept. head, and he suggested I try putting a spiral binding on it. I was so thrilled (I think my DS was more so - his favorite recipe was in it), I will have that book till my DS inherits it.
    Last edited by Robinlee; 07-18-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Just to make sure with the business that there is enough room to allow the spiral binding to be used so you don't lose any information near the binding area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    I had NO IDEA...this could be done..............this is a marvelouse idea and suggestion....all those books that you push to lay flat and they never do.....I have staples, office depot and office max very close am going to make some phone calls......has anybody had any bad experiences with doing this ???? Like loosing print copy from the pages would be my biggest concern......
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I take a lot of my quilting books to the local office max and they do the same for me....love that spiral binding. I am actually thinking of buying one of those machines and do more of my books. It is not very expensive and easy to do......the cost of a few books would pay the freight on the "spiral machine"....

I have done this also, about 1/3 of my books are spiral bound. good reminder

Blog Entries
    Like so many others have said...thanks for the tip. Have a Staples not far from me and several books that I would use more if they could be open w/o putting something heavy on them.

Great idea!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    I am trying to get all my books spiral bound. It is great and surprisingly inexpensive. The last ones I had done were only $3
    Where did you get it done for $3?

I would never have thought of this! Thanks so much for the great idea.
    ShirleyD

I've done that as well. It's great. I need to go and do some more.

Blog Entries
    I've never thought about doing this. It would definitely make my life easier! Thanks for the idea.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

This works great for piano books too so they stand up nice and stay open.

Blog Entries

book falling apart

I was going to say how about making a quilt binding and have it rebound.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    I have a favourite Quilting "go to " book, but due to over use, it started falling apart. I was devastated.
    Then the light bulb went off.
    I took it to my local "Staples" office supply store and asked if they could rebind it. They could!! They could rebind it with a spiral binding and it cost less than $10.
    I should have done it ages ago. Now it stays open when I'm using it!
    Next time I get a new book that isn't already spiral bound, I may just take it in and have it done right away.

You might also consider using the plastic protective sheets, that way you could put one page in and see it on either side. I used tons of them for my curriculum notebooks when teaching and since I bought them myself, I brought them all home with me when I retired. I put all of my quilting patterns that are printed off and not in a book in them. I had enough to make 3- FULL 3" 3ring binder cookbooks for my two children and a niece for Christmas one year. You can buy a box of about 200 I think it is for $9.00 at Sams, or buy them in pkgs of 25 or 50 at WalMart or at any Office Supply. I always tried to get the 50 pkg. and many times there were specials with extras in them. The ones I prefer are the non glare, and the ones I get at WalMart are made by Avery. They are handy for so many things. The holes for a 3 ring binder are already punched in them. You can put them in a binder or get the rings that are often used for key rings that snap together and use them either way, you can easily flip the pages and keep the page open to wherever you want.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 07-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just make sure it is a book that is A- not collectible, B- not out of print already, C-and is one you plan to live with forever...
    it depletes the value of them drastically! Also if you are doing this to applique or paper piecing books where you might use the patterns more often, have them make a copy on card stark that you can keep using to print off the patterns from. Saves wear on the original.

I also like my books to lie flat, but I take them to the office store and have them punch holes in them and put them in 3-ring binders, you can purchase them at your local Dollar store or even office supply store, I buy then when back to school sales start, you can even get the ones with the clear cover and insert the cover in the front and make a title card to put in the clear part on the binders side, they look very nice and neat lined up in your bookcase
    happy to have enough stash fabric at all time

Blog Entries
    I have taken several to Kinko's for this very treatment. I have also taken a years' worth of magazines in to have bound into one book - I also did four issues of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazines into one big group - It makes it so much easier to use both the books and magazines. I am not sure I would do all of my books since you do lose the name on the spine when you do it, but on ones that I use a lot it is a definite plus!

Never heard of this over here. Will enquire. What an excellent idea.
    Annie

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Office Max does this too, if they have a copy center in the store. It is very reasonable. I have done this with my music books for years.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

We have a store near me and they do the spiral bindings, only they are a lot cheaper....like under $4.
    I have had several of mine done that way, so they lay flat when working with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2