Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fear of the first cut >

Fear of the first cut

Fear of the first cut

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 AM

This also reminds me of the first quilt I gave away and it was like I was loosing a part of myself. I have long since gotton over that as I know I can just make another one!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm a fabriholic (sp?) and have this issue with some of my purples. Most particularly, the dark purple fossil fern b/c that's truly not made anymore. I don't believe "ugly" fabric is the solution b/c where I see pretty, my girls see ugly so beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. FYI: I do have some truly ugly fabric and for some of it I have 2 pieces. However, once I have a project firmly set to go, I can usually cut without hesitation but the dk pur fossil is still untouched. :D
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM

i was going to suggest, "just can't cut it" also, or some other pattern which uses a focus fabric and a few others. then you can love the fabric in a quilt, all the time and it is not sitting in your stash for no one else to enjoy.
The other thing I love is to make a very scrappy quilt and sit with it and say, "Oh look at this one" or "remember that one". That is particularly true of novelty prints and also quilts made for my kids or from fabrics collected by or for them. The joy of your fabric purchases is greater when it is shared. If no one in your family appreciates your passion, share it with us here. We ALL do!!
Good luck!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM

I have a lilac print that is so beautiful. I was always wanting to use it, but then couldn't find the right thing to fit it into. I would get it down and not use it time and again. Then I made my oldest granddaughter's quilt in pinks and purples. It called out loud and clear--"USE ME". So it is within the body and also is a border which was a perfect fit and really shows off the quilt.

Moral of story--when you find the perfect pattern and color combinations, that fabric will call out to you.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Oh yes...I have that problem too. If I buy fabric with a specific project in mind, then I have no problems with the first cut, usually can't wait. But...my stash is a different story. The what ifs creep in...what if I find a better use...

Sign me up for that 12 step program.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:47 PM

I know the feeling. I still have fabric that I haven't been able to cut.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I used to feel that way also, not so much anymore. I know that whatever i decide to use, I can replace it with something just as beautiful. And using gives me an excuse to go buy more. Go ahead, and take that first step!! It only hurts for a little while :lol: :lol:
I had this very same fear for a very long/unhealthy time. It give credit for it, to my ocd-ish/perfectionistic/anxiety ridden side.
That might not be your problem, but it sure sounds like me.
In the beginning I had such dreams of these perfect, beautiful creations that would be loved immensely. That's a nice dream...but when I finally began to use my fabrics, (and I had been sewing since aged ten! only been quilting for a few years)...I learned that I was going to make a lot of things and get better and better as I went along, but 'perfection'...if it ever happens, wasn't going to be overnight and for me, there is absolutely only one way to get there...one cut at a time.
What helped me get started was making blocks to send for a friend, celebration or charity quilts. These gave me a little fix and helped build my confidence.
After all, we get good at making blocks and how is a quilt made? One block at a time.
I am still kind of guarded about my favorite fabrics, waiting for some fantastic pattern to come along.
But you know what I have discovered? The things I have made were better than I expected. I am not just talking about my skills, but about the way the colors etc. look together.
I found it's all in the doing. I had to make myself DO! It was the only way to overcome the anxiety.
Like Ninnie said, there are other beautiful fabrics and it only hurts a little for a short period of time...and then the fun/elation starts!
One more thing: some of my fear was my ruler slipping a bit, when I tried to cut my fabric. I use small adhesive sandpaper dots on my rulers now and I learned to fold accurately and hold down firmly on my ruler when I cut. Also using the less expensive cuts in the beginning helps, bc if you do make a mistake, it won't bother you as much as making it on those costlier fabrics.
The more you educate yourself on folding, cutting and measuring the more confident you are going to become.
I am so much happier now that I have jumped in and started doing. It's a blast to be on this side of it.
So, I would take a deep breath and go for it! :-D
Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

k3n
Now that is a solution - buying ugly fabric so we're not loathe to cut it! Yup we're weirdos alright! Glad I'm in such great company! :lol:[/quote]

:XD:
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM

I don't have problem making the first cut...it's finding the time to MAKE that cut! And I love FQ's...I bought some cute Valentine print (candy hearts) that I will make some tiny gift bags from...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Google Goddess

go for it, are you cutting yet?