Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Feathered placemat

Power Poster

Feathered placemat

I wanted to try the bumpy feather FMQ feathers on a pillowcased placemat. It laid perfectly flat before quilting. The quilting turned out fine but the placemat now has ripples along the edges. Am I expecting too much from the FMQ or is this just "the nature of the beast"? Anyone have any pointers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    well no pointers to speak of but you might try steam pressing the edges. not your feather which looks great by the way.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

From the picture it looks as though the ripple goes all the way to the other edge. Could that have been the fold while it was stored? The thing about pillowcase quilting is that it is distorted by the quilting and is exceptionally hard to do without these kinds of problems. I have made many baby quilts with that method and this is not unusual. So, I try and use a very plain type of quilting and stop about two inches or more from the edges. Even with that, I sometimes just end up having to rotary cut the edges off and putting a binding on.

I wish I could give you more information, but, that is all I can describe to help. The method is great for lightly straight line quilted or tied quilts, but, not so much for heavily quilted ones.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Banned
    I believe to avoid this is to do a lot of pinning with straight pins along the edge to distribute the fullness.

Blog Entries
    pretty feather cannot offer suggestions because i am having wonky borders after quilting. So I can say I feel your pain, enjoy the feathers.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I would say when you use the envelope method it will probably not lay flat with much quilting as it takes up fabric!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    I have had this problem when pillow casing quilts. Fabric is never tight enough using this method so it is a draw back to perfection. I started ironing the edge of PC'd quilts before quilting so there is a nice flat seam around the edge. This helped a great deal.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop