Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Featherweight advice? >

Featherweight advice?

Featherweight advice?

Old 03-28-2024, 06:20 AM

Default Featherweight advice?

I have a dear friend, 82, who lives in Gilford NH who isn't comfortable with the idea of selling her two featherweights on craigslist and isn't very computer literate although she does use FB for family. No longer goes to guild Do those of you in the area have any suggestions how she might market them? I'm afraid she has left it late in the day for this kind of letting go of things.
thank you for any ideas you can offer. Nothing I can do from the opposite side of the country.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:33 AM

Have her contact the guild president or someone she knows in the club and put the word out that she has these for sale and the price. I'm sure she will sell them to a person who will love and use them. Seems like the advertised price in MN is between 300-500, depending on if it's a centennial model, black side or a 222 vs. a 221. Marketplace is sketchy and not advisable. Wish I was closer....can always use another featherweight machine.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

https://singer-featherweight.com/pages/about
Old 03-28-2024, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Her guild should have a newsletter.She can post an ad to sell the machines. Word of mouth at the guild will get them sold in no time.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:22 PM

I sold my FW on FB marketplace. She already has an account, so it shouldn't be difficult. All of the usual sales cautions apply: Meet in a public place (some police stations have an area specifically for this type of transaction, which is great); I went to a local library after calling ahead to make sure there was a place we could have a table near an outlet for her to test it.

Alternatively, I have seen little postings at some quilt shops. Perhaps check with some of the local shops? Or, even if she isn't active in a guild, does she have any contacts who still are? We've had folks mention stash sales of former members, so would guess that they would be willing to do same for a FW.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:31 AM

I think if she let a couple of local quilt shops know she has two to sell, they would be able to spread the word. She'd sell her machines in no time. There's a yarn shop near Gilford - they might know of someone who's interested, and she's near Keepsake Quilting, too. I'd be interested, but I live 2 hours away.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam View Post
Have her contact the guild president or someone she knows in the club and put the word out that she has these for sale and the price. I'm sure she will sell them to a person who will love and use them. Seems like the advertised price in MN is between 300-500, depending on if it's a centennial model, black side or a 222 vs. a 221. Marketplace is sketchy and not advisable. Wish I was closer....can always use another featherweight machine.
Most definitely would I advertise them in a Guild newsletter. Everyone in our Guild just got an email concerning 2 for sale and they were snatched up immediately. Much better than other ways,
Old 03-30-2024, 05:32 AM

I second the guild newsletter. My guild is mostly (old) women (my guild has 2 men in it), so it should be a safer group of people reading the ad. I would not want to deal with a total stranger with $700. to $1,000. worth of merchandise at 82 years old. Facebook marketplace is essentially the same as Craigslist.

I've sold and bought sewing machines on Craigslist and Marketplace, but I'm not yet 82. Just from the description of all the things she doesn't do, says to be careful.

bk
Old 03-30-2024, 06:32 AM

thank you all, you are mirroring my concerns and ideas. She is sharp, but newly widowed this month, and grief can make us fragile.
thank you again, I'll pass this all on to Joan.

I am so thankful I sold on all my "extra" machines when my eyesight started acting up. All I have now is what I use every day..
Old 03-30-2024, 07:09 AM

I am not far from your friend - I have sent you a PM