Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Featherweight questions >

Featherweight questions

Featherweight questions

Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Oh thank you was so wondering about the needles, and if i would have to buy special ones, good to know I can use the ones I have. I ordered the FW book by Nancy Johnson sebro (sp) hope it is as good as the reviews on it say it is.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
Oh thank you was so wondering about the needles, and if i would have to buy special ones, good to know I can use the ones I have. I ordered the FW book by Nancy Johnson sebro (sp) hope it is as good as the reviews on it say it is.
It is the best currently available. Her section on troubleshooting is particularly helpful. There is very little that she doesn't cover. Like I mentioned earlier, there is a tech manual that is available as a download for free online. I found it interesting, but suspect most of us will never attempt to machine or mill a new part and install it on our machines :roll:
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM

I was helping my friend at quilting bee today to figure out why her borrowed Featherweight wouldn't sew. The needle was in with the flat to the back, we put it in correctly and ta-dah! no more problems. I showed her where to oil it and removed the stray thread caught behind the bobbin case base.
The Zoom oil sold at JoAnn's is just fine, I like the long spout; makes it easier to get at some of the oil points underneath the machine. I only use Schmetz needles in my machines.
When I get a new FW to service, I check the wiring behind the lamp and also where the cord plugs in. The earlier FWs can have melted wiring insulation.The following link shows the melted wiring that I was talking about.
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...tdisaster.html
Sharon W.