Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
feed dogs pull to the left >

feed dogs pull to the left

feed dogs pull to the left

Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Sewed all the pieces together this week end for a wall hanging, on the old Singer (bought for decor) all seams came out great. I am in love all over again. Will be looking for another old Singer.
One Baby Lock went into travel case, the other put behind the Singer.For 1/4 it is the Singer for me. Will do other work on Baby Lock's since I have them.
Thank you again for the insight's shared.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 PM

Wow these are old posts. I have a new Janome 8900 and I'm having the same problem. The fabric is veering off to the left messing up my seams. I am using the 1/4 inch foot. I'm ready to tear my hair out!
'
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 AM

I think I have figured out why my fabric veers off to the left on my new 8900..THEY HAVE MADE THE FEET WIDER and it only happens on certain little blocks that I sew. The foot sits on the other seam that I have just sewed and that causes the fabric to veer off to the left. It doesn't happen to everything I sew. Only the smaller blocks. I was making these same blocks with my other Janome and it was just fine. I started to compare the feet and the new ones are so much bigger on the 8900. The feet are no longer interchangeable.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 PM

Because of having this same problem, I have started using the regular presser foot and adjusting the needle to sew a quarter inch. Then line up the fabric with the edge of the presser foot, as usual. I saw this hint on a You-tube video about a Pfaff machine. I think it helps keep the fabric more in contact with the feed dogs. On my machine, the setting is 2.5 to the right. Experiment to see what works.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 AM

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I use the "Little Foot" for 1/4" seams on my 1976 Kenmore and invariably everything drifts to the left whether I'm sewing a large piece of fabric or just two jelly roll strips. I'd thought it was because one feed dog was off in calibration or because the fabric didn't totally cover the right-side feed dog. Since I can't adjust my needle position, I'll take the advice given above and use a regular foot that covers both feed dogs and put a couple of layers of painters tape to mark the 1/4" line.