Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed Sacks >

Feed Sacks

Feed Sacks

Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Feed Sacks

A friend gave me a tote full of feed sack scraps, I have used a lot of the smaller scraps, but there are a lot that are larger sizes, I was wondering what the thoughts are of using fabric that is not a feed sack to go with some hst, I don't have any solid fabric from the feed sacks, and I would like to make something besides scrappy quilts.. all comments welcome.

TIA Sheila
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM

I think you could use what you like with them, do a block or 2 and see if you like it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Or, you could send them to me. LOL Your post brings back so many memories of my youth. My Grandpartens had a small farm and my Granddad would always take one of the grandkids to the feed store with him so we could pick a feed sack pattern that we liked and Granny would make us a dress or shirt from it. How life has changed over the years.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

When I think of feed sack fabric I immediately think of Dresden Plate quilts. Are you in the mood to try one of those? Really any pattern looks good with feed sack fabric.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:33 PM

I have a tote of feed sacks as well. Mine are the natural color, no pretty pattern to them. I plan to use them for dish towels and maybe backs of quilts. I have an older quilt that has feed sack on the back.... with printing advertising the flour or corn meal that was in them originally. I love that quilt because of those sacks on the back.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM

I made a quilt earlier this year using feed sacks that were donated to the Coleman TX Museum. There were several sacks of the same print. I used a pattern I saw in a magazine called "Haberdashery" because I wanted to feature the feedsack pattern. I simply bought some solid cotton fabric to match the dominant colors in the print.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6110.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 12:36 AM

You can mix them with 30's reproduction fabrics, too. There are many solid colors in the reproductions. Enjoy them!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Thank everyone for their input, it helped, I usually don't have trouble making decisions, but when it comes to quilts that is another story..I can get it together with one or two colors, but have trouble thinking outside the box.