Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
feedsacks >

feedsacks

feedsacks

Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Your feedsack quilts are really beautiful! Are they what the 30's repro fabrics are designed from? Since the fabric is 50 years old do you have to be careful how its cared for? How can a person tell if its a feed sack when you see a quilt with fabrics like that? Sorry about all the questions but it is fascinating and how wonderful that you have a large collection.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM

When I first starting collecting the feedsacks I would gently wash them, because I was afarid they would fall apart. The last ones I got were so dirty and stained that I ended up washing them with bleach in hot water. The colors came out so vivid. Remember these sacks are at least 50 years old.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM

My mother used to make all my dresses from feed sacks back in the late 40's and early 50's. She could not afford to buy fabric but several of the farmers in the area would save them for her. At the time, I was embarassed to wear them because everyone in my small town in Minnesota thought that you were poor if you wore feedsack dresses. Now I wish I had some of them. Mom is long gone but the memories remain.

Love your quilts, they really are precious.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Your quilts are just fabulous. I grew up on a farm but am not able to access a feed sack fabric memory from my brain, so tell me, please: is it easy fabric to work with? I'm thinking that it's loose weave, but maybe not??? I remember the flour sacks, but the only feed sacks I can remember were burlap.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 AM

WOuld you like to move to the bunkhouse?
I worked as a kitchen helper in Izee Oregon one year (forty years ago or so). All of the pillowcases were feed sack fabrics ... that was long before I considered doing any sewing, of course ... but, I do remember liking the fabric!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Wow does this date me!! I remember my mom making my dresses from those feedsacks! Lucky you!!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Just gorgeous!!!! Drooling with envy
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM

The feed sacks are very easy to work with. For those that ask I'll take pictures of some of them in the next few days. FYI A feed sack would have held 50 lbs and measures about 45x36. A flour sack was much smaller and held 25 lbs. It's a little larger than a fat quarter. There are a few more sizes, such as a salt sack, which I've never seen. Darlene Zimmerman has a book on feed sacks that has a lot of history about the sacks plus patterns.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM

Did you know that some stores sold feed sack fabric on the bolt? I actually got some the last time we bought feed sacks.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom
Your feedsack quilts are really beautiful! Are they what the 30's repro fabrics are designed from? Since the fabric is 50 years old do you have to be careful how its cared for? How can a person tell if its a feed sack when you see a quilt with fabrics like that? Sorry about all the questions but it is fascinating and how wonderful that you have a large collection.
Feed sacks are a little courser looking, but not to the touch. A tell tale sign to look for is that it would have been sewed together along the side and bottom with a very heavy thread that leaves large holes.