Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   feedsacks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feedsacks-t27375.html)

Olivia's Grammy 10-20-2009 06:24 AM

Does any one sew with the orginal feedsack? I have about 600 and love to work with them. I have done four quilts, two of them reversible and a few wall hangings. They are getting harder to find and more costly. I also have a lot of flour sacks. My husband remembers his Mother making his clothes from feed sacks.

crkathleen 10-20-2009 06:54 AM

Wow! How have you been able to collect so many? I have never seen one in person. :)

PuffinGin 10-20-2009 07:06 AM

You are so lucky to have them--and 600! Wow.

When I was young, we still got flour and feed in those and my mother would save them. I used many to make tops and other things for myself. All I have left are a few scraps from a few. I really liked them.

Olivia's Grammy 10-20-2009 07:30 AM

We run adds in the Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin. Usually we will buy all they have if we can get them at a low enough price. I think the most we've ever paid is $4 each.

Pam S 10-20-2009 10:35 AM

I'd love to see some pics of the quilts you've made with them. I have 2 quilts my great-grandmother made with feed sacks - Dresden plate and a Grandmother's flower garden. I didn't know that's what they were made of until my mother told me.

rivka 10-20-2009 10:50 AM

I'd love to see pictures of the quilts you've made. I'm very curious!

Marcia 10-20-2009 11:08 AM

What a great feedsack collection you have!!!

I have about 15 or 20 feedsacks that I purchased here and there. I also bought a charm pack with 50 different 5" squares in it. I made a pinwheel quilt out of them as a feed sack challenge with some friends. They are really fun to sew with.

Olivia's Grammy 10-20-2009 11:44 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to make my pictures smaller. They are over 1MB. Any suggestions?

gaigai 10-20-2009 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I'm trying to figure out how to make my pictures smaller. They are over 1MB. Any suggestions?

My digital camera is set on the highest quality mode (for photographing genealogy documents), and I have had no problem downloading photos. It just takes longer.

That being said, if you have a photo storage or editing program on your computer, you can change the pixel size for emails.

I have some feedsacks from my grandmother, but when she died, my mother and I weren't speaking. So when mom cleaned out the house, she says she threw away a big garbage bag of feed sack material. I'm not sure I'll EVER forgive her for that one!!!

Olivia's Grammy 10-20-2009 03:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I hope I figured out how to resize the pictures. I'm not sure of the quality, but maybe you can see enough to apprecite the colors of feedsacks. Remember this fabric is over 50 years old.

This is my favorite use of feedsacks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41189[/ATTACH]

Most of the feed sacks tops have feed sacks on the backs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53017[/ATTACH]