Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   feedsacks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feedsacks-t27375.html)

bzstampr 10-24-2009 03:28 PM

This has really been a treat looking at your beautiful quilts.
Now I'm thinking I'll have to look for feed sack fabric at some of our antique stores. We've got a few and I'll have to check it out.
It's always fun to add to my stash anyway.

Have a great evening!

Debbie
www.bzstampr.blogspot.com

MaryAnna 10-24-2009 04:46 PM

Just AWESOME! WOW! They are fabulous and so colorful, definetly heirloom quilts for your family!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards,
MaryAnna

pvquilter 10-24-2009 04:57 PM

WOW!! Now I realy want to sew the ones my aunt gave me. I probably need more for a larger variety. Your quilts are gorgeous. You did nce work on all of them...

Betty Ruth 10-24-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Does any one sew with the orginal feedsack? I have about 600 and love to work with them. I have done four quilts, two of them reversible and a few wall hangings. They are getting harder to find and more costly. I also have a lot of flour sacks. My husband remembers his Mother making his clothes from feed sacks.

One of my brothers and I were talking about feed sacks recently. He remembers Mother sending him to the mill with our father and a list of what kind of sacks she wanted, 3 flower print for a dress, one for a short sleeve shirt or 2 for long sleeves. She might even send a swatch of something that she would like more of. He said that the warehouse man would get mad when he had to move a large number of sacks to get one near the bottom. I wore feed sack dresses all through high school and beyond. I'd be happy to sew with those feed sacks, but they were all used up years ago. As to the flower sacks, the only ones I've ever seen were thinner, more closely woven than feed sacks, and only came in all white. They were used for underclothes and dish towels.

Olivia's Grammy 10-25-2009 02:46 AM

My DH told me the same story about his parents.

AnnaK 10-25-2009 03:30 PM

Your quilts are beautiful. And how lucky are you to have these sack fabrics! I have memories of a dress my Mom made for me when I started grade school. It was red cherries on white fabric. Still remember it quite well. Thanks for helping me to think of it again.

quilt addict 10-25-2009 08:46 PM

I love feed sacks and have purchased a few scraps on ebay, they are expensive. It is wonderful you have so many and the quilts your make are fabulous :-) . Thank you so much for sharing, I will bookmark this so I can come back and look at them again.

Olivia's Grammy 10-26-2009 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I love feed sacks and have purchased a few scraps on ebay, they are expensive. It is wonderful you have so many and the quilts your make are fabulous :-) . Thank you so much for sharing, I will bookmark this so I can come back and look at them again.

Thank you that is so sweet of you.

Mousie 10-26-2009 05:14 AM

wow, scouring fabric sites, I would come across the 30's repros and such, and think, "well, interesting, but for somebody else to sew with."
Not anymore, after seeing the gorgeous quilts and table runners, etc. that you have created!
If I could put these fabrics together this well, and get that fresh, vibrant look, I would definitely make one for our bed. thanks for airing, um sharing...makes me think of clothes sunning on the line, in the fresh breeze :D
P.S. your grbaby is adorable! :D

unfinished business 10-26-2009 05:35 AM

You have a gold mind. I rember being a very well dressed flour sack girl in a one room school house with other flour sack girls. Wouldn't we fit right in today