Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feedsacks >

Feedsacks

Feedsacks

Old 06-11-2020, 04:25 PM

Default Feedsacks

What are people doing with feed sacks? I have 7 natural colored and 11 colored.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: link not working
Old 06-11-2020, 06:59 PM

I know of someone that made masks from the Red Rose & Bluebird flour sacks.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:17 PM

There are lots of quilt patterns for 1930's fabrics. Just type in "1030's quilt patterns,' in Google Images.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:40 AM

Just an off comment.... many many years ago I belonged to a woodcarving club. Yes, a man of many skills...not skillful, just done different things! But I digress.... at one of the meetings I made a comment about one of the members vests (we had vests with our woodcarving club name on the back, and various patches and pins from whatever. Anyhow this member had a vest made from an old burlap bag. I thought it looked really cool. I said as much, and really admired it. Well his wife heard about this and next thing I know I had my own burlap bag wood carving vest!! Now sure how she made it, but it was simple and nice. I should dig that out and look...maybe I can try to make one!!! Regardless, I thought I would mention I had this burlap bag vest and just loved it!!! Maybe a thought for you????
Old 06-12-2020, 08:50 AM

My friend made her granddaughter outfits with feed sacks and I admired them so much. Next thing I know she made me two shopping bags out of some of her feed sacks. I love them and treasure the fact that she made these for me. I think you can make anything you want with feed sacks. I remember my grandma cutting her feed sacks up and making quilts with them and every time my grandpa went to town for chicken feed he was instructed to get certain colored feed sacks. Oh those were the good old days.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

As a young girl in the early 1950s I remember having a feedsack dress with purple flowers on it. I was one of 5, Mom didn't have much time to sew.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM

I have some feedsack prints and planned to keep them to do repairs on 30s quilts. I have several 30s Grandmother's Flower Garden sets pieced by my great grandmother and a quilt from my other side of the family though none of the feedsacks would be close in prints/colors...at least it would be from the same time frame.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 PM

I cut mine up and made a quilt for my sister. She has my parent's bedroom set. I would need to look for the picture. I did have to line all of the fabric with interfacing. Pretty loose weave.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:05 PM

I made a quilt with mine that I gifted to my dear friend, we both love reproduction fabrics. I also made some really cute baby quilts with them. You can make whatever you choose to.