Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
velvet, cordoroy & satin crazy quilt >

velvet, cordoroy & satin crazy quilt

velvet, cordoroy & satin crazy quilt

Old 06-25-2020, 06:44 PM

Default velvet, cordoroy & satin crazy quilt

Drove 3.5 hrs each way yesterday to attend my cousin's (only had him and his sister as cousins) funeral. Very sad as he committed suicide due to health reasons and his sister deals with husband with dementia, etc. So my sister and I helped her after the service sort through the family heirlooms so that the executor could then deal with estate, etc. My surviving cousin is starting to downsize as when her husband needs to be placed in memory care home, she plans to move into condo. So she brought 3 quilts--my sister got the baby quilt used by my Dad (white with 8 pointed scrappy stars) and I got the velvet, cordoroy and satin crazy quilt that my grandmother made (she made the baby quilt too). The crazy quilt was finished by her and my aunt (cousin's mom) with a wool blanket for the bat and some funky curtain fabric (maybe with some stretch in it) and then tied. Weighs about a 100 lbs. Another friend that collects antique quilts has suggested that I deconstruct the bat/backing and quilt (we both long arm) and use a nicer backing/bat. I'll get a picture posted soon--awkward to lay out as rather big,but I'll do that tomorrow and post a pic. It's in surprisingly good shape. Don't know year made.

Oh--the 3rd quilt, which my cousin brought for me, was given to her by friend for her first wedding(50+ yrs ago) and was made by the gifters aunt??? Was old when it was given to my cousin. Don't really have provenance. It's white with applique and handquilted. I haven't totally unfolded it and seen the whole thing--obviously needs cleaning. I really feel grateful to my cousin for thinking of me with both quilts. Haven't really looked at either that well as yesterday was mentally, emotionally and physically draining.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

What treasures to receive.
I would Not take the crazy quilt apart. Crazy quilts were never quilted- always tied. The fancy stitching on the top were the showcase- it would be difficult to quilt over corduroy, velvet and silk without tension issues and it would take away from the provenance of the quilt .
Old 06-26-2020, 04:40 AM

Quiltingshortimer, I’m so sorry for your loss.

Hugs,
Rob
Old 06-26-2020, 05:07 AM

You could still take it apart and change the batting and backing - just tie it again.
bkay