Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Still in search of paper piecing >

Still in search of paper piecing

Still in search of paper piecing

Old 06-16-2020, 11:54 AM

Default Still in search of paper piecing

I had posted earlier that I had ordered the preprinted paper for paper piecing for both the Log Cabin and Pineapple quilts. I had order them form Itssewemma. They never arrived. I tried to call them, but no one answered the phone. I did email them, but no response yet. I checked my credit card and no charge had been made from them yet. So, I was wondering if anyone knows if they are still in business.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a source for the preprinted paper piecing patterns? I want to do the 12" size which is too large to print on my printer. I did buy the paper for it, but it limits me to 8". I thought about drawing and having a business print them for me, but they would not be on the type of paper I'd want.

Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 PM

I believe that It’s Sew Emma, is a division of the Fat Quarter Shop. Shipping is slow, I placed a order and it took about 3 weeks before they even shipped. Slow shipping times are the new norm now, The Fat Quarter Shop is a online only shop, so I’m sure it has had a huge impact on their shipping abilities. I don’t know when you ordered, but I’ve never had a issue with getting a order. I’m sure they are just overwhelmed, with orders and emails because we’re all home and looking for things to keep us busy!
Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 PM

I agree with tallchick, both websites have the same phone number. Fat Quarter shop is reputable, and both websites have notifications stating that shipping is taking longer. If you can't find what you want locally, you may as well just sit back and wait patiently. They are still in business.
If you decide you can't wait, have you thought about printing what you can, and then taping the pages together?
Old 06-16-2020, 12:40 PM

I buy rolls of parchment (not wax) paper from the dollar store. It is light weight, easy to sew through, sturdy enough for the process yet tears off easily. While not ideal maybe for your needs, it is 12" wide by 25 feet for $1 it's a heck of a deal and a regular item in my sewing supplies. Otherwise the largest paper commonly sold/used is "ledger" or 11x17". While a commercial print shop may be able to print larger, you need a large format copier most likely at a place that does blueprints.

Yes, you'd have to draw out your grid each time. Or you might do a test and see how it works for you when we make paper patterns for quilting use, you stack a set of papers. I put the drawn/copied design on the top of the stack and hold down the sides with blue tape. Then, using no thread in my needle, I sew around the design and transfer the pattern to the punched dots of the needle punches. I find I can't do more than 6-8 layers at a time well myself, and the bigger/longer/more complex the design is becomes a losing proposition.

Here's some daisies I did on newsprint to machine quilt consistent flower shapes. Same idea but larger for what you want. Stack your papers and stitch to make the lines.
Attached Thumbnails paper-punch-templates.jpg  
Old 06-16-2020, 12:52 PM

This might be of interest to you:

https://www.gathered.how/sewing-and-...ing-templates/
Old 06-16-2020, 01:29 PM

If you buy paper larger than your printer and don’t want to draw every page, you can draw one page, then stack a few pages underneath it and run it under your needle with no thread. The perforations indicate your sewing lines on the bottom pages.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:13 AM
Gay

I like wesings' idea. The stitching line helps to fold the paper if you don't wish to sew through it.
Have you thought of drawing up a quarter pineapple block, then copy that with the printer. You would have joins through the middle of your block.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:03 AM

I have also ordered the paper piecing packs from them, and they had a note at the top of the page that said orders would be shipped 17-21 days later.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 AM

I watched the Devoted Quilter do a demo using freezer paper to paper piece. It is a method where you don't stitch through the paper. That way you only need to draw your pattern out once or twice. I did 9 airplane blocks all using the one freezer paper pattern. I wonder if that would be a good alternative for you?
Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 AM

I agree with "tallchick" that It's sew Emma is part of the Fat Quarter Shop. I ordered fabric from there and it took about 3 weeks for me to get it. It is an online store and they may be having less employees working at this time. Don't know when you put your order in but I wish you good luck in getting your PP items soon. They are probably working as hard as they can during this Pandemic.