Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feel free to laugh at me...

I keep the manuals for my machines handy -- my Janomes have the threading indicated on them, but my old Elna does not. At church we have several machines and no manuals so threading is by the seat of my pants (always stressful). The worst is trying to remember how to wind the bobbin of the Singer that winds the bobbin in the top loading bobbin case. I don't do it often enough to remember -- and I never remember to bring the bobbin winder into church.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have this machine and can't find but one con about it. I cannot use the auto threader. I can't understand the manual's line drawing of it and I have been to every Brother dealer in the area and not one had a PS1500 which of course has a different needle threader then the other Brothers. I guess I could tote the machine to the dealers but it's sure heavy. I have looked at it through a magnifying glass and still can't figure it out. I don't have a problem threading manually but one day I'd like to figure it out. No use in typing directions, without someone showing me or pictures I won't get it.
    It's a HORRIBLE threader. I've had my machine for more than 10 years and absolutely LOVE it! I've taken it to be cleaned and every machine expert has agreed that the threader leaves a lot to be desired......SO.....I just manually thread it and all is fine.....I've another machine and the threader is wonderful, but I still love the brother for it's plain, no nonsense sewing....reminds me of the Singer 221 in that it's a workhorse. I know you will soon have the threading down and will become very attached to this lovely machine.....Just FYI, I've learned to clean it completely by easily taking the bottom off and brushing out any lint. I also brush the lint from the bobbin area at every bobbin change. Easy machine to use and clean.....best of luck with yours. I hope you love it as much as I love mine....

I have one and love it. My best advice is KEEP YOUR MANUAL WITHIN ARMS REACH. If you follow the instructions carefully a few times, you will succeed in threading your machine correctly every time. If you forget something, reach for your manual. Don't underestimate your machine. It's very sophisticated and you need time and practice to fully enjoy it. And don't underestimate yourself; you will get the hang of it quickly!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Someone had to say it.......... If it's automatic, why do you need instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I have that machine and love it, but I did have to hang on to the quick start guide for a bit to remember how to thread it. I love the automatic needle threader!!! I hope you enjoy the machine as much as I enjoy mine.
    :-)
    CAS

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I also have several different makes and models of machines. (Don't we all?) So I have to bookmark the threading page for each machine so I don't end up miss-threading and have a mess on my hands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Someone had to say it.......... If it's automatic, why do you need instructions?
    Lol that's a good question, one we should put to the manufacturers!

No, I am definately no laughing....I love those Quick Start guids, as far as I'm concerned they need to be laminated!

I've had that machine since it first came out, almost 10 yrs & love it, it is super, super for free moton. Hints-I find it is better for free motion when it is threaded thru all three holes on that top thingy, there is a picture in the manual, but a nuisance to get floppy thread thru all 3 holes so when I change thread I just tie the ends of the new spool to the ends of the thread from the old spool & pull it thru. Of course the knot won't go thru the needle so at that point I thread the needle manually, do not like the automatic threader.
    Also when doing free motion use a stretch needle, size 14, no loopies, no missed stitches. This information was from a Brother tech when I first got the machine, really the best hint ever.

Blog Entries
    I wish I could remove the needle threader from my machine, as it is in the way when I thread the needle manually.
    I'm left handed and it just don't work for me.

Blog Entries
    I can't get to my sewing room (new flooring being installed) but thank you so much for the video. It has always frustrated me the dealers couldn't show me. I even asked one of the reps in the Brother booth at Paducah quilt show! No luck. None of the reps in the booth knew how the 1500 worked. Their excuse was it was too old a model for them to know about. ?
    Got fabric?

I fired up my new baby for the first time yesterday, and I LOVE IT!!!! Okay, definite learning curve. I kept getting a big glob of thread on the bottom, and it would get jammed in the machine. I looked on the Yahoo group for PQ 1500S owners, and someone suggested that the thread might be in the bobbin backwards. I rethreaded the bobbin, and away I went, no problems at all! I tried the quilting foot - loved it! - then did my first free-motion quilting, and it was surprisingly easy. (Which makes me think I must be doing something wrong. LOL) I am going to have SO much fun with this!!! It's just worlds away from my starter sewing machine. This feels like it was built to last.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I spent the weekend doing a lot of applique in different colours thread on my new machine. I changed thread so many times that threading has become an aoutomatic action and I do not have to think, wonder and peek in the book. Seem practice does make perfect!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2